3DCoat Forums

object deformation tool - how to?

bobtronic

Hi,

I am trying out 3D Brush because I am quite impressed with the free deformation tool video

on the features site (the one where you can fix points and drag them around to deform the object).

However I am not able to get it to work. What tool do I have to use (I guess it's the sculpting pen)?

So far all my tries failed. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

cheers,

Matthias

Hi,

I am trying out 3D Brush because I am quite impressed with the free deformation tool video

on the features site (the one where you can fix points and drag them around to deform the object).

However I am not able to get it to work. What tool do I have to use (I guess it's the sculpting pen)?

So far all my tries failed. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

cheers,

Matthias

Please go to Sculpt tool (icon at the bottom of tools panel) press F3-Free transform (or select it from the drop list). Then you can add points an drag them.

Thanks for the answers but unfortunatly this is not working here. I start 3D Brush with the head model and choose

the Sculpt tool with the Free transform mode. Then I click on the surface of the model to add a fix point and the model

simply disappears. Do I something wrong or is this a bug? Maybe my hardware doesn't support 3 brush? I have an

AMD Sempron 2 GHz and 1.5 GB RAM and a Geforce FX 5500.

cheers,

Matthias

Thanks for the answers but unfortunatly this is not working here. I start 3D Brush with the head model and choose

the Sculpt tool with the Free transform mode. Then I click on the surface of the model to add a fix point and the model

simply disappears. Do I something wrong or is this a bug? Maybe my hardware doesn't support 3 brush? I have an

AMD Sempron 2 GHz and 1.5 GB RAM and a Geforce FX 5500.

cheers,

Matthias

FX5500 is really not powerful... But it should work. Please send the file log.txt to support@3d-brush.com . Also, please turn on "Use low shaders quality" in options.

• Advanced Member
FX5500 is really not powerful... But it should work.

Yes, it should. I tried 3db on FX5200 with 128mb, with 1gb RAM, and its works OK, but with maximum 1024 textures. Once you want 2048 or larger textures, you need at least 6600 or better 7600/8600 or higher GPU with 256mb or more. I use 7600 GT 256mb\2gb RAM on my main home PC and its works well with 2048 textures, its also works with 4096 textures, but you need to keep layers number low as possible, for working with many 4096 layers you need 512mb of vRAM and 3-4gb RAM i think. I am going to buy new workstation at the end of April - May, its would be 4 cores\4-6gb RAM machine, but i have to decide on GPU.

Andrew, how do you think, what would be better - single hi-end card like 8800 GTS\GTX with 512\768mb of vRAM, or pair of mainstream cards like 8600GT with 256\512mb of vRAM each connected via NVidia SLI ?

Yes, it should. I tried 3db on FX5200 with 128mb, with 1gb RAM, and its works OK, but with maximum 1024 textures. Once you want 2048 or larger textures, you need at least 6600 or better 7600/8600 or higher GPU with 256mb or more. I use 7600 GT 256mb\2gb RAM on my main home PC and its works well with 2048 textures, its also works with 4096 textures, but you need to keep layers number low as possible, for working with many 4096 layers you need 512mb of vRAM and 3-4gb RAM i think. I am going to buy new workstation at the end of April - May, its would be 4 cores\4-6gb RAM machine, but i have to decide on GPU.

Andrew, how do you think, what would be better - single hi-end card like 8800 GTS\GTX with 512\768mb of vRAM, or pair of mainstream cards like 8600GT with 256\512mb of vRAM each connected via NVidia SLI ?

I think single-core video card with more memory is better. Also, the layers amount and video memory are independent things. The layers amount growing eats RAM, not VRAM.

I hope soon to make optimisation on memory usage, on unsing 64 bits and multi-core usage. Now multi coring is used only in baking tool and in making previews in uv-tool.

Ok, thanks again for your help. I managed to get it work now. It seems there is a problem

with adding pin points and Wacom tablets. If I use a mouse it works fine but with a tablet

objects will disappear as soon as I add clicked to add a pin point. I will send the log.txt.

cheers,

Matthias

It seems there is a problem

with adding pin points and Wacom tablets. If I use a mouse it works fine but with a tablet

objects will disappear as soon as I add clicked to add a pin point. I will send the log.txt.

cheers,

Matthias

I'm having exactly the same problem using a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet and stylus. This is with a Radeon 1650 Pro with 512 mb ram, Athlon 64 X2 4200.

Bug report sent.