3DCoat Forums

Official Version --- Beta Versions

digman

• Reputable Contributor

I would again like to make my suggestion of having a Beta forum section and a Official version form section plus own mantis sections too. Right now it is all thrown together. Very confusing for the new users of 3DCoat.

One view of a company's / person's take on the current system now as it stands.

"The official version is what is sold to the "public" thus it needs it's own forum/mantis section. A company or person needs a place to submit bug reports on the official version. We cannot just upgrade to the lastest beta for production work. Yes,the problem is fixed in the lasted beta but as we know sometimes "something else can get broken in beta versions". We as a company/person want the developer to fix the official version when a true bug is reported. It is the one we paid for. We did not pay for the beta development version to be used in production work." Now remember in my statement above I am coming from a company's view point not my own.

I was in the business world for many years working with large and small companies so what is stated above is not so far out in left field.

My personal view is that I love the open beta, but it does cause problems for new users. We need more clearly defined sections for both. This would help new companies/person using 3DCoat or to address their bugs reports or questions to the right areas...

EDIT. I know Andrew has many times fixed problems right away for companies or a single person but the above would just help clear up confusion I believe. I realized that mantis might have separate sections as I have not used it, correct me if I am mistaken...

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

3DCoat has grown in complexly by a large degree since 2007. This is a good point about the hard work Andrew and now Raul's have brought to 3DCoat. It also brings rethinking how the official version and betas work.

My opinion here:

The official version would be sold with it's current functions and no promise of added features till the new upgraded stable version is released. That is the standard practice of most companies. Bug squashing and fixes of course would be addressed for the official version.

The official version would have it's own forum.

"Open beta" A separate forum set up for the beta with the normal rules for reporting bugs. The beta would no longer be offered at the official forum for downloading. You would download the beta at the beta forum. I know that makes it really too easy for standardized beta testing but we are all now quite spoiled to testing out the new features... me too... :p: Andrew has been too nice to us when maybe he should turned to close beta at the start of version 3...

This could slow down development as Andrew would have two versions to work on. Fixing bugs for the stable and development on the new features for beta versions.

Anyway that is my take on the current way the official and betas work...

Absolutely agree with digaman! :good:

I'm new here. And I'm absolutely confused which version to use. The stable version (3.5-19A) is good, but full of unfixed bugs. The latest one has less bugs, but unstable due to the new features, so it can't be used in production pipeline.

So the suggestion is great. And I would say it's vital.