3DCoat Forums

Workflow

stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

I am currently resculpting a figure I did last year in Sculptris.And I am wondering about workflow in 3dCoat. Here is what Ive done. It is a sort of caveman ( Morlock from The Time Machine) Ive sculpted the body, its about 10 million tris in LClay, now I am starting to sculpt in wrinkles and creases. 10 mill does not seem to be quite enough for the detail I am after.If I go higher is this "bad practice" OR Is it the done thing to do tiny details in the bump map when I paint ( like I did in Sculptris ) I think I prefer sculpting them now, because it seems like the right time to do it....rather than retopo and unwrap, then doing a bit of extra "sculpting" with the bump.

What sort of "amounts of triangles" do you guys generally work to? I think I accidently made a "blob" 37 million, it sort of worked but was a bit sluggish. And on another occasion I tried to put in a primitive "free patch" which made me go out of memory!

( Vista Utimate 64, nvidia gt 9800 512ram, 8 gigs main ram)

ps the original "Morlock" is on my blog somewhere( May 2011) , if anyone is interested or got a suggested workflow.....

• Advanced Member

Well it really depends on what you want in your end result. Personally I can go up to >20 <30 million and still have good performance, though I generally dont use a large brush size. Give it a try and experiment a bit to work out what is happy medium for what you are wanting. You can retopo, send to paint room, then paint in some more bump and reduce the load on the program that way, Personally I will try to do as much as I can in the sculpt room because it makes easier to get a good AO baked, than tryng to get an AO map done from the paint room on top of everything after. But maybe I am not doing it quite right there, I dont know.

With the new build (haven't tried yet, still downloading), I suspect I will be using this workfow alot more, and perhaps with even better performance, so even more will be achievable from the Vox/LC room. Also Polypainting.

Then to the paint room for perhaps some more in cavity, more on hieghts, materials etc.painting.

Well thats just what I try to do anyhow. I am sure with 3DCoats versatility, others may have quite a different way of doing things to achieve what they are after.

• Reputable Contributor

One thing to remember is the smaller your details the higher the resolution of your texture map you will need to capture them. A 16k texture map is the highest you can go in per-pixel painting and I think 8k for displacement maps but I could be wrong on the displacement one. You will have to check to be sure.

Distance from the rendering camera is the key to how much small detail you really need that will be seen. A thought to keep in mind.

Now with polypainting in beta today, you could paint directly on the voxel sculpt, then render in 3DCoat. No texture map needed. Go as small of detail as you like and your hardware will handle. Next take your rendered image into your paint program for postwork.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for that, it seems the rules change on a daily basis round these here parts! With this new polypainting thing! At the moment I can only go up to 2k for maps because I am using the hobby licence. Will this mean my normal/AO map will not register my fine detail sculpting so much.I think I saw a tutorial where a model was retopoed and uv d in two parts,so I gues I could have two image maps on one sculpt.I hope to get the full license at some point,maybe I will wait for Vers 4,because I believe you get all point releases in a particular vesion free.So it may be prudent to hang on a bit until I know what I am doing and where I want go with it.