3DCoat Forums

Voxel sculpting layers in 3D coat

grayOlorin

hi, I was wondering if there was a way in 3D coat to do sculpting layers while working on voxel mode. For example, say I have a layer that is a head, and I have modeled all medium frequency detail, and I want to add high frequency detail as a separate sculpting layer, so I can toggle high frequency detail on and off, adjust its intensity, etc.

So far I really love sculpting in 3D Coat (it's amazing how easy it is to pick up!), but this seems to be the one thing I cannot find....

Thank you in advance!

• Reputable Contributor

No, it doesn't work that way in Voxel Sculpting. Voxels are actually invisible to the user, and what you see in the viewport is a mesh skin (triangles). Since it gets dynamically updated and re-meshed with every stroke (ZBrush's Dynamesh tries to copy this functionality, but only does it by a hotkey refresh and with resolution limitations), it would be nearly impossible to have that type of layered structure. To offer some of that functionality, though, you have the Multi-Res tools.

Basically, just keep building the detail as you need it, and if you need to step down to a lower level, you can do that at any time. You have the level your layer is currently on plus 3 levels lower (2x, 4x, 8x). When you cache the layer, it stores the current object and leaves a lower (proxy) res version in it's place. You can work on that lower res version, and notice a big performance gain in the process, and when you switch back to the higher res version, the changes will be translated. It will usually preserve any small details you had previously, so as to be as non-destructive as possible.

With all of that said, you DO have that layering functionality in the Paint Room where you have image-based sculpting as a second option. You see live normal map-based relief or displacement map relief in the viewport as you sculpt. It is a very good option to choose when doing high frequency detail. With the Poly Painting work under way, there may be some way discovered to blend these two sculpting platforms as you need.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Javis,

I watched the video and was curious about the eyes and horns. Presumably, they would have to be repositioned after the pose tool. Is this right?

I was just using Javis' video to provide a demonstration of the Multi-Res workflow. If you use the Move or Pose Tool, you can check "Through all Volumes" in the upper left hand corner of the UI, to keep from having to move them separately.