3DCoat Forums

Painting stretched?? how to fix

manticor

• Advanced Member

Been spending the past day or two really getting down and dirty with the painting system..Im VERY impressed by it but...

Ive noticed that when painting my brush gets stretched along the direction of my stroke.How do I get 3DCoat to stop doing this? as Im getting splotchy results because of it.

• Reputable Contributor

More information is needed plus a screen capture of your problem would help.

What mode of painting are you in, Per pixel, microvertex painting, Ptex or polypainting

Did you make a manual retopo or use the autopo feature

Did you auto-uv or make a manual uv, A poorly layed out uv map will cause stretching...

Do you have fade on edge selected for the brush?

A screen capture of what your model looks like in the retopo room or uv room with uv map showing.

I would just be giving you a shotgun answer based upon the current information you gave so far...

• Reputable Contributor

Been spending the past day or two really getting down and dirty with the painting system..Im VERY impressed by it but...

Ive noticed that when painting my brush gets stretched along the direction of my stroke.How do I get 3DCoat to stop doing this? as Im getting splotchy results because of it.

I agree with Digman. The only reason you would see stretching is if the UV map was irregular. You can inspect whether or not there are stretched UV faces by observing the checker pattern in the UV room. Obviously check the areas you noticed it in the paint room.

UV's are ridiculously fast and easy to do in 3D Coat, so long as you don't try to lay them out on a high poly mesh. If you Retopo'ed your model, one HARD rule of thumb is to NEVER, EVER subdivide the mesh until you have laid out your UV's. That is a major no, no and will only serve to give you more work to do...needlessly. The Unwrap algorithm LSCM and ABF++ do not like dense meshes. You will get an ugly result if you try it...no matter which UV application you use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkqnS9qhclQ

• Advanced Member

thanks for all the heads up guys ,but after 16 years of doing 3D I know what Im doing with Uv's etc .

The problem was easily fixed by setting the brush to sharp shape (old style).No idea why the brush shape is set to stretch on direction by default as turning corners creates a spattery mess which I would imagine no-one would want.

• Reputable Contributor

thanks for all the heads up guys ,but after 16 years of doing 3D I know what Im doing with Uv's etc .

The problem was easily fixed by setting the brush to sharp shape (old style).No idea why the brush shape is set to stretch on direction by default as turning corners creates a spattery mess which I would imagine no-one would want.

Didn't know. A lot of new users here + it sounded like UV stretching was the problem. Just trying to be helpful.