3DCoat Forums

How to preview mesh in retopo room?

sande

Is there currently any way to properly preview your mesh in retopo room?

With "proper preview" I mean seeing your new retopo mesh without the underlying highpoly mesh, with and without the wireframe and with a solid mesh - preferably with and without smoothing. You can hide the underlying highpoly mesh with hide subtool, but then you are left with transparent retopo mesh with wireframes, which is not very good when you are trying to see silhouette and forms. There are many useful sounding view settings (like wireframe, smooth/flat shading) in the view-menu on top, but none of them seem to work with that retopo mesh.

Also, is there any way to manually change the color of the retopo mesh? Now 3D Coat seems to randomly assign different colors to that mesh. There have been many, many, times, when I would have liked to change that color to something better - especially when trying to preview the mesh (you could put white mesh without wires against black background for example.)

Not being able to properly view your mesh hinders the retopo process and doesn't lead to optimal results. This should be a trivial feature to code, but at the same time very important, so I am a bit puzzled - am I missing some setting somewhere or is this functionality really missing from 3DC?

• Advanced Member

When you're in the Retopo Room, you can open the vox tree at Window --> popups --> voxtree and there you can disable your high res mesh.

This way you can preview your retopo without the high quality sculpt, keep in mind you have to turn it back on when you want to calculate a normal/displacement map from the highres onto your low res.

When you dont want to see many colors in the retopo room you could click on the "simple checker tab" and press " custom texture" and when it opens a browse tab you should click cancel and you'll get a white retopo mesh.

Another tip is to press shortcut 2, so your mesh gets shaded flat; it looks so much cleaner without specular messing around. You can find this in View --> flat shade.

Hope this helps..

johnnycore, Yep, I knew about hiding the voxel highpoly: with external highpoly mesh (like something exported from zbrush) you can hide it even more easily by just pressing H - but in both cases you still end up with semitransparent retopo mesh with wireframe. The View-settings, like flat shade/smooth shade and so on, only work with the highpoly mesh - the actual retopo mesh ignores all those settings...

Thanks, I think so too - the lack of proper mesh preview has come up with artists in my company several times.
I made a new topic in feature request section ( http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9365 ), but it seems I don't know how to use Mantis. If someone can help with Mantis, or preferably put this in Mantis, I would be very grateful... :)

//edit by admin