3DCoat Forums

Lets talk about digital photographing (maybe also needful for 3D projects)

• Advanced Member

Helo, I startet this thread coz I love my sigma dp2s so much. The dynamic range & colors are one of the best for small digital compact cams I think. But ..... its a little bit sad, that the dp2s has not so an wide angel, coz I want create also my own panoramas or even 360°/180° spherical pans for 3D programms.

So I think, that I will buy the sister of the dp2s, a dp1s or better the dp1x. For shooting nice panoramic landscapes/skys and so on :) - yes, with dp2s I can also stitch photos (like in the sample image from me) ... but I need maybe 40, 50 or more pictures? With dp1x maybe only 15-20?

ps.

I know, a DSLR is better, also a good fisheye objective or super wide angel objective + panoramic head/nodal head, but its too expensive for me.

But I know that I did also made panormics free hand only, and only with my dp2s, but the dp1x is like the dp2s, but withe an wide range objective ;)

ps.

I want also create (half)spherical materials with my cam (dp2s or dp1x). I know also, that a fisheye is very good, but its expensive and the 'fishey' boarders are often not sharp enough....

post-6985-0-91505200-1333049199_thumb.jp

post-6985-0-04359500-1333049965_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

hey, thanks for our answers. Very nice trees, can u make also other plants with this nice blender generator?

And I also know that a DSLR is much better, but I think also that sigma makes very good comapct cams too, okay they have problems in speed and so on, but they did make great pictures.

here an example of an panorama from a DP1

4930418224_87468c4a77_b.jpg

Link of this picture: http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=644869&page=71

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Helo, I startet this thread coz I love my sigma dp2s so much. The dynamic range & colors are one of the best for small digital compact cams I think. But ..... its a little bit sad, that the dp2s has not so an wide angel, coz I want create also my own panoramas or even 360°/180° spherical pans for 3D programms.

So I think, that I will buy the sister of the dp2s, a dp1s or better the dp1x. For shooting nice panoramic landscapes/skys and so on :) - yes, with dp2s I can also stitch photos (like in the sample image from me) ... but I need maybe 40, 50 or more pictures? With dp1x maybe only 15-20?

ps.

I know, a DSLR is better, also a good fisheye objective or super wide angel objective + panoramic head/nodal head, but its too expensive for me.

But I know that I did also made panormics free hand only, and only with my dp2s, but the dp1x is like the dp2s, but withe an wide range objective ;)

ps.

I want also create (half)spherical materials with my cam (dp2s or dp1x). I know also, that a fisheye is very good, but its expensive and the 'fishey' boarders are often not sharp enough....

To be honest, I'm not sure what the question is here. Do you want people to tell you what you should buy or are you asking if your choice is the right one? You've pretty much stated all of your possibilities. From reading your post, your choices seem limited to using your Sigma DP2s as is, or get a fish-eye adapter for it (poor quality as you say), or a new camera such as the Sigma DP1x you mentioned, or a DSLR plus fish-eye lens which you can't afford. There are no other alternatives, that is all of them.

If you can't afford a new DSLR, what about a used one? It doesn't have to be top of the line either. I'm still using my Canon EOS 10D for example and the quality is great, not to mention far from obsolete (only in some peoples minds it is). Back in the early 90's, when I first got into photography, I was unemployed and broke. Dirt cheap used stuff was all I could afford, but I was happy to have it and it was plenty good enough to win contests. So don't feel bad if you can't afford the latest, greatest gadget. Good photographers take good photographs. The camera is just the tool. Would a top of the line screwdriver make someone a better electrician? No and that's how I choose to look at it lol. ;)

Getting back on track, I've done panoramas using a 35mm-70mm f/4.0 zoom lens hand held. Five shots at 35mm stitched together is plenty panoramic (almost 180 degrees FOV) and your Sigma is equivalent to a 41mm on a 35mm full frame camera (which would be 65mm on my DSLR because of the 1.6x crop factor). I don't think you would need to stitch "40, 50, or more" shots together at all with your current Sigma, unless your goal is to create one super high resolution image (which can be fun too hehe).

Your camera shoots images that are 2640 x 1760 pixels in resolution. This means five horizontal shots from your Sigma stitched together would end up being 13200 x 1760 pixels (aka 23.2 megapixels) which should be fine for printing 55 x 7.3 inches at 240 dpi, maybe even a bit larger with good upsampling software.

• Advanced Member

okay, here is also a panoramic (stiched, - only freehand, without panohead) photo from my dp2s, I lover much, bud for a full 360°+180° degree panorama I need to much photos....

winter_panorama_by_zeropainter-d33xutb.jpg

And for a 360°+180° I will buy a cheap, dp1x. Maybe also Nodal Ninja III? Coz if I want made a 360°+180° panorama maybe in a room, there are more parallaxal errors in the image. So I think its good to have dp1x together with the dp2s ;)