3DCoat Forums

Displacement, UV, and Normal Mapping basic question

David O'Neil

I am trying to wrap my head around the possibilities of 3D Coat with the trial version.  The simplest version of my question is can you take a flat plane object (just 4 vertices as an example), create a UV map of it, paint something detailed on that UV, like a tree, and then give that tree a fake 3d through a displacement map THAT IS CREATED WITHIN 3D Coat ITSELF, in the project file?  I've looked through many tutorials, but my google-foo seems weak, because I'm not finding anything.

If possible, I'd like to see an example of that, and then the next step would be a good complete overview of how to export displacement, UVs, and normal maps for use in Blender.

I tried a flat plane, in the attached file, and it blew up.  If anyone can explain how a simple plane became all of these objects without me doing anything except dragging nodes around, please do. What are each of the objects?  How can they be used?

Thanks,

David

sample.3b.jpg

• Contributor

Looks like just one object but a virtual one that hasn't been 'applied' yet. Why don't you load the plane object, press 'enter' or "Apply" and start sculpting on the plane? Then, in the Retopo room, you can bake a displacement map.

It gave me a 'Mesh boolean operation failed' error.  I don't know enough to understand what is going on.  Why are there 2 'yellowish' planes converging, and a 3rd white one that I deformed by pulling the vertices, when I only created 1 plane?

Can you 'paint' a displacement map in 3D Coat?  Or is the 'sculpting' and getting a displacement from that my 'Aha!' moment?  (In that that is the only way to do so in 3D Coat)?

Thanks.

Hi David, according to your requirement, this will not be a complex workflow. Actually it is very simple, what you need to know is just how to use the "Texture baking tool" in 3D-Coat.

Only two steps:

1. Merge your object to Voxel Room, then sculpt it as you wish, after that, use "File"-"Export"- "Export Scene" to export (this will export a high-poly polygonal mesh).

2. Use "Textures"-"Texture Baking Tool".

Hope this help

merge into scene microverts.jpg

According to this video, you can import a black and white image to use as a 'height map.'  3D Coat is all about painting on objects.  Can you 'paint' a height map on an object in real time, to give a faux 3D effect on a 4 vertex polygon with good resolution?  In other words, don't use any type of import process.  And then save it out for rendering use?

Thanks,

David