3DCoat Forums

Stuck trying to bake and retopo

Antidamage

Hey everyone. I love 3D Coat, but please help me love it even more.

I'm trying to clean up a Reality Capture mesh. The UVs are bloody horrible so I want to fix those and bake the texture to the new UVs. I also want to take the high poly model and retopo it, then bake the normals.

So far by going New -> Retopo I can bake the normals, but it refuses to use the old UVs and instead the only way it looks right is if I auto-unwrap. That looks fine but then the original texture no longer works.

If I go New -> Per-Pixel Painting I can import my texture and it looks correct, but I don't know how to fix the UVs and bake the old texture to the new UV layout. And if I did know how to do this, I can't trigger auto-retopo unless I go all the way back and go New->Retopo.

Please help!

Just thinking about it a bit more, I definitely want to retopo first to get the improved UV set, then somehow bake the texture from the old UVs to the new UVs, the same way baking normal works.

The thing is, if I open for retopo, when I go to Paint and import my texture it adds it to layers but never shows, the model still stays pinkish. If I open the FBX for per-pixel painting then I can import my texture and it shows, but then I can't re-topo it. What am I meant to do there?

• Reputable Contributor

I use Photoscan and there a few ways to get what you desire. Sorry busy at the moment but by Friday or Sat I can help. If you use Skype for voice and screen sharing, I will be happy to show you as typing is lengthy. 

Send me a Pm if you want to use Skype.

12 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi !

Is this video useful for you ?

I tried this but I cannot get my model to come in with a texture or vertex colours. They're all set up (verified in C4D) but they just don't come in. Any advice there?

Edit: I skipped the scuplt step and went straight to autotopo as my model is clean, and it's now using the right colours. Thank you!