3DCoat Forums

Importing an OBJ with a dozen individual objects....?

Kierab

Hi All,  I am trying to bring a Maya object over into 3d Coat to play with it.  On import it goes from a dozen individual parts to only three or four gloms of all of the parts instead of 12 layers each with one of the objects in the obj file.  How do i tell it to import each sub part as it's own item and not glom them together? I have version 4.7.33 (steam) - I saw someone with 4.7.37 with a menu to import multiple objects, but I don't think I have that menu anywhere in my version.  Is there some way to do this that does not require me to do a dozen separate imports?  

Hi, thanks for responding.  Are you saying it imports by UV material not by individual object?  Is there a way to tell it to take each piece as its own?  I do have more than the four materials - so i do not think it is breaking up by uv material.  I am still stuck.  Suggestions?

• Advanced Member

you can try  if bringing the obj in the sculpt room   (Import as a Voxel Object)  you get the panel to check things and just below AUTO SCALE IS  Import to Separate Instances .  I hit the auto scale button .  and the Import W/O Voxelization as to have your model in surface mode .  hope it helps.