3DCoat Forums

imported objects come in black and un-paintable?

simmsimaging

• Advanced Member

Every one in a while I import an object for PP painting and it comes in with an all black texture, and when painting in the viewport nothing seems to happen. Occasionally they also come in with many faces hidden, or with a strange greeked text opacity map. Not sure if this is all one problem, or different things, but anyone know why this would happen?

It's only the odd time and I can't figure out what I'm doing different (importing .obj files out of Max).

Thanks in advance

b

• Advanced Member

Hi, I had this happen too. If you are importing a .obj then you need to delete the "texture tag" before exporting, otherwise your imported model will import with those problems. Also make sure you align the normals before exporting too. :)

• Advanced Member
Hi, I had this happen too. If you are importing a .obj then you need to delete the "texture tag" before exporting, otherwise your imported model will import with those problems. Also make sure you align the normals before exporting too. :)

Thanks, I gave it a try but it did not seem to help. I am able to import the same model on it's own in a new file with no issues, but as soon as I try to merge it into the current working file it comes in either totally black, or black and partially missing - see the attached image.

The model is there in some way because wireframe view shows the whole object, but you can't paint on it properly.

Is this possibly some kind of memory related issue? Wondering if 3DC and my computer just cannot handle the textures/mesh sizes involved so this is what it does?

b

post-1221-1246197759_thumb.png

• Contributor
Thanks, I gave it a try but it did not seem to help. I am able to import the same model on it's own in a new file with no issues, but as soon as I try to merge it into the current working file it comes in either totally black, or black and partially missing - see the attached image.

The model is there in some way because wireframe view shows the whole object, but you can't paint on it properly.

Is this possibly some kind of memory related issue? Wondering if 3DC and my computer just cannot handle the textures/mesh sizes involved so this is what it does?

b

It sounds like your "current working file" may be corrupt and needs rebuilding.

• Advanced Member
It sounds like your "current working file" may be corrupt and needs rebuilding.

I will give it a try, but I have already rebuilt it about 4-5 times trying to import all the pieces. Different parts come out with this problem at different times, not sure if it's about the order or what it is. I'll give it another go though, just to be sure.

b

• Advanced Member
I will give it a try, but I have already rebuilt it about 4-5 times trying to import all the pieces. Different parts come out with this problem at different times, not sure if it's about the order or what it is. I'll give it another go though, just to be sure.

b

Nope, it seems to be something else. I imported the same bunch in a different order and now it's another part that is coming in black. Looking at the materials it looks like the normal map for the black object is different - darker blue. Can the normal map actually invert the normals? Not sure what the deal is, but I am unable to paint on the black objects. Another note about them: if I turn on "environment shade" instead of smooth shade they show up as grey (default import colour like all the other parts) so you don't see the black anymore, but you still can't paint on them.

Thanks for the input though, appreciate the help.

b

• Contributor
Nope, it seems to be something else. I imported the same bunch in a different order and now it's another part that is coming in black. Looking at the materials it looks like the normal map for the black object is different - darker blue. Can the normal map actually invert the normals? Not sure what the deal is, but I am unable to paint on the black objects. Another note about them: if I turn on "environment shade" instead of smooth shade they show up as grey (default import colour like all the other parts) so you don't see the black anymore, but you still can't paint on them.

Thanks for the input though, appreciate the help.

b

Perhaps your original thought of inadequate memory is the issue.

• Advanced Member
Perhaps your original thought of inadequate memory is the issue.

Looking that way, but there is no real indicator that I know of to be sure. The poly count of the total objects is about 400K in Max, but I am having problem before getting all of the pieces in, so probably more like 250-300K. I have four 4K maps in the 3DC file as well, the 5th one is where I have problems right now.

• Contributor
Looking that way, but there is no real indicator that I know of to be sure. The poly count of the total objects is about 400K in Max, but I am having problem before getting all of the pieces in, so probably more like 250-300K. I have four 4K maps in the 3DC file as well, the 5th one is where I have problems right now.

What does it say on the bottom bar about size?

• Contributor
It says "fps: 35 Free: 11199MB, Pointers 1241784 "

That is when I have imported the part that does not show up properly.

b

It looks to me that you have plenty of free memory, but you might check page 161 of the help file to see if you want to make adjustments.

• 3 years later...

I'm having this same problem when I export a mesh from Modo 601. I'll include the question I left on their forums earlier today. If anyone has an answer for this PLEASE HELP! :

"Hi everyone, I'm having a problem where a mesh I export from Modo 601 as an OBJ turns up black and cannot be painted on when imported into 3D Coat.

I originally modeled in in Blender, then, to be cool, fixed a lot of things I didn't like about the topology and made some additions in Modo (in order to learn it).

When I exported the mesh from Modo without touching it, it shows up fine in 3D Coat.

But, at some point after using these tools/doing these things: ( Edge Extend, Poly Slice, Sculpting tools, Poly Inset, deleting some edges, adding new loops, Edge Slide, deleting faces, using Mesh Cleanup ), the exported mesh can't be worked with in 3D Coat.

So I'm hoping there is something funny that one of these tools does to a mesh that could be easily solved or if I'm using the tools incorrectly and have run into a common pitfall.

If anyone has any non-jerk advise or has run into this, please help. I'll give you an internet hug. "

Check the UV room to see if your model has any UV's. If not, you can create them (select seams or hit AUTO SEAMS and hit UNWRAP > APPLY UV SET)

Thanks a ton for posting this! I've been watching this discussion over the weekend, but didn't see your post. It looks like this worked. Things were getting depressing for a bit.