3DCoat Forums

A low-poly pirate

capt_eatbones

Hi folks,

here is my first WIP with 3DC. I'm working on a little scene, both for little enviroment and character modeling (most character) for my low-poly reel. The concept is this one:

screen-85.jpg

The pirate face in the model has changed in order to achieve more "pirateness" :D. Here is the model colored, waiting for start painting details and sculpt:

pirate_paint.jpg

See you soon with updates ;).

Cheers.

Hi there,

I'm experiencing a visual problem when painting. Here is a screen shot:

screen3dcoathj6.th.jpg

As you can see it appears just on some UV set, those that are in coincidence. I've made this in order to optimize the uv space. I've verified that this is just a visual problem cause exporting the texture I have no problem. The fact is that if I paint over these spots they disappear, but come back when I close 3DC and load the model again. A can work but it's a little annoying.

Cheers.

I see that your model have mirrored arms. Visual bugs appear because you have used "Keep UV" during import.

Choose "Keep clusters". UV-set will be changed during import to avoid overlaps, but during export you will get texture with original uv-set. But you should paint only on one arm because during export more painted polygones are preferred.

Hi Andrew,

here the last update:

screen_3dcoat-2.jpg

Well, this is my frst attempt to 3D Paint and Sculpt, so I started with just the paint one. I'll need several normal map details but I'm going to make them in a second step. I prefer not to confuse me painting both at the same time. The screen that I posted is from Silo Viewport that let's me view just the low-poly model without any subdivision. About this I have a question for you, Andrew: is there any chance to import a model rough, without even just the first step for the carcass (as I've done in this case) or to have smoothing groups also without smoothing the objects?

It is weak point, but you can try next set of options:

[x]Smooth

[x]Preserve positions

If smoothing groups will not be accepted fom OBJ file you can try to set auto smoothing with some custom angle.

I think it is not bad way to edit low poly model with smoothing that corresponds to normals interpolation in Silo.

Have you tried to load the model with all settings at default and then turn on low poly shade mode?

When you first load the model it will look subdivided and smooth/melted but when you turn on the low poly shading mode you will see only the low poly object with smoothing and can paint away on the low poly object.