3DCoat Forums

Specularity - Fine Control

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Hello. I bought 3D Coat primarily for it's ability to paint specularity directly on a model, as I can in Mudbox. However, even when I paint a section of a model with 100% specularity (found at the top of the viewport) and export the model to view it in 3ds Max, I find that the specularity just isn't showing up.

The only way I've been able to get this to work properly is to go into the paint layer blend in 3D Coat and set the specularity to say 50, but then the whole texture has that level of specularity.

I want to fine tune how specular various parts are on a model.

Do I need to simply have one layer for each area that is specular and set it's blending setting high?

If so, what's the point of setting specularity for the brush (found at the top of the viewport)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Thanks...that was a super big help. Apparently, what I was missing was that you can click the spec (circle icon near top middle of the upper toolbar) to remove the X from it and turn off the color and depth (making an X appear on the two circles to the left of it). Then adjust the spec slider as needed. I still find most of the tutorials for 3D Coat lacking in some way.