3DCoat Forums

Recreate Topologie without losing Textures?

Malo

• Contributor

Hello

I asked this question in the german sektion, but it seems nobody could helps me, so i start a new attempt here.

I have created a pillar with one of the tutorials here. It looks like this.

1-3dcHilfe1a.jpg

After i was done with retopo and painting, i switched to the render tab and i was trying to make some nice pictures.

In this tab, i must see, there are some quads ugly and it would be better to fix that areas.

1-3dcHilfe1b.jpg

Is it possible to recreate the UVs, create new unwrap and copy the old textures with old UVs to the new one in 3d Coat?

Would be nice if somebody could helps me.

Regards

Malo

• Advanced Member

ah , ich hab grad ein Zitat im deutschen Teil gepostet ;),

aber zweimal hält besser

And now in english here, quoting Taros:

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hi. One more tip for this issue:

1. Export the model with the updated UVs to a obj file.

2. Now move to 3Dcoat and open your old working scene, if not already done.

3. Go to the Textures menu inside the paint room und use "Import UV".

4. Use the new obj file as the source for the new UV information.

-> Your old uvs will be replaced now. That's it!

Important: This works with identical models only- the vertex positions have to be at the exactly same place.

The big advantages of this method:

- No rebaking process needed!

- No paint layers get lost! (This is unique in the texture application market as I know)

• Reputable Contributor

ah , ich hab grad ein Zitat im deutschen Teil gepostet ;),

aber zweimal hält besser

And now in english here, quoting Taros:

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hi. One more tip for this issue:

1. Export the model with the updated UVs to a obj file.

2. Now move to 3Dcoat and open your old working scene, if not already done.

3. Go to the Textures menu inside the paint room und use "Import UV".

4. Use the new obj file as the source for the new UV information.

-> Your old uvs will be replaced now. That's it!

Important: This works with identical models only- the vertex positions have to be at the exactly same place.

The big advantages of this method:

- No rebaking process needed!

- No paint layers get lost! (This is unique in the texture application market as I know)

This won't help if you change the topology. Instead you can use the Texture Baking tool. But unless you are making radical changes you don't need to unwrap again. If the islands are still in the same place, and you just fixed some small topology issues, just check UPDATE ISLANDS and then you should be able to merge back into the Paint Room, or just bake the textures from the Retopo Menu (Bake Texture is halfway down the list). This video explains the UPDATE ISLANDS > to ABF (to re-flatten just the changed island if major changes were made to it) at about the 3:30 mark.

This one covers the Texture Baking tool:

• Like 1

• Contributor

Many thanks for the help.

After i fix the issues on some faces and create new uvs, i sent it to the paint room and yes, all textures are there.

The only thing that i see is, some paintlayers are merged. But overall it works realy nice.

With the texturebaking i have no successes on an other objekt.

Is it possible that it wont works on PTex?

• Advanced Member

This won't help if you change the topology. Instead you can use the Texture Baking tool. But unless you are making radical changes you don't need to unwrap again. If the islands are still in the same place, and you just fixed some small topology issues, just check UPDATE ISLANDS and then you should be able to merge back into the Paint Room, or just bake the textures from the Retopo Menu (Bake Texture is halfway down the list). This video explains the UPDATE ISLANDS > to ABF (to re-flatten just the changed island if major changes were made to it) at about the 3:30 mark.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but too have a similar question and just watched these videos on texture baking.

AbnRanger, with texture baking, say I have a ~177K poly character made up of a body mesh/subobject with 3 UV maps on the body, and I have additional mesh/subobjects for shirt, pants and shoes, each with their own UV maps (so overall that's 6 UV maps total on the original high res mesh wearing clothes); then I retopo a new low res mesh over all the subobjects (the guy wearing clothes and shoes) to make a low res ~ 6.5K poly mesh, with no subobjects (i.e.my low res mesh is one piece wearing the clothes- clothes are not separate).

So now I'd like to bake the high res objects textures onto this low res mesh. Ideally I'd like to end up with 3 UV maps completely different than the original ones. I want 1 for head, 1 for torso and 1 for limbs. In the original mesh, there is chest skin textures on the body, but the shirt covers that and has it's own UVs and textures. So in my baked one, I don't care about any texture that is "hidden" by clothing. I just want the shirt texture to go to the torso of the retopo'd mesh.

How can I best set up baking to bake this high res character wearing clothes with 6UVs down to my low res one with 3 UVs And have the textures project onto the low res one? Ideally I'd like a bit of the shading of the shape of the high res one to bake down to the low res one. The retopo mesh is very close (within mm near clothing edges or exact surface points for skin) to the original mesh structure.

Hope that makes sense. Or if anyone else has done this sort of thing, please let me know how you did it. Thanks!