3DCoat Forums

improvement of draw with spline tool

ldzywsj

• Advanced Member

Andrew,this time I think I really have a big idea :lol: please take it serious :) the spline tool is my most favorite tool,and I think it is the most magic tool you have made.we can use it to draw, to put text,to put picture,to retopo, but it is never the all what it can do.

1)it can be used as marquee tool, what was asked for many users for many times. when the spline is closed, it is just a marquee tool.The marquee tool is much better than freeze tool.Andrew,please have a look at the Helmet tutorial in this forum.while filling an area of the helmet,it must to freeze an area then invert it,it is inefficient.if a closed spline is used to define an area,we can fill inside or outside of it simply,need't to invert it frequently.Most of all, it is a fully editable marquee tool,better than the marquee tool in photoshop.if you will make closed spline as marqee, I have three small advise.a)a spline should fully snap to the surface of a model,especially the curved surface,as it do in retopo tool.B)It should allow to create several splines at a time,allow to duplicate and scale splines,that will help to define annular area or more complicated area.C)Basic shapes like rectangle or ellipse should be add to it.BTW, I think masks also should be throw away.

2)it can be used as strip. Andrew, in fact i don't understand why you make strip,to make chain or seams of cloth?I think with some kinds of pen shape draw along a spline will make what the "strip" do, of cause , it should be controlled by numbers of repetitions of pen shape or spacing interval of pen shapes.

That could be good. But the main problem is that 2.10 development some day should be finished to move forward. I am trying to implement 1-2 BIG features per release and many small. I hope retopo testing could be finished in finite time :), I have planned several average and small improvements in 2.10, but marquee seems to be not very small feature. I see that marquee is better then freeze (it was my mistake to follow ZB&MB terminology in this point) but it can't be done in 2.10. But the development will continue and once freeze will be frozen :) an marquee will be done.

• Advanced Member

I don't think marquee tool is complex to you :lol: ,because the technique you have already used in 3dc.In my view,we can draw one or more closed splines,then activate the area inside/outside or between the splines. the actived area is the working area,and others is the freeze area.the marqee tool should easly switch the working area and the freeze area by one click.

• Advanced Member

When I follow the helmet tutorial,I find there are much more efficient method to finish the whole drawing,so I want to make a new video tutorial on draw a helmet.but Andrew,if you can improve the spline tool a little,it would be more easy to drawing.That is,make the spline in draw mode fully match(snap to) a curved surface just as it does in retopo mode.beacause when drawing with spline on a curved surface, part of the drawed line some times is covered by the surface.

next,we need paint with closed spline mode(like paint with ellipse mode). and if you can make the closed spline as a marquee, I would cheer for a week.

post-641-1215779113_thumb.jpg

When I follow the helmet tutorial,I find there are much more efficient method to finish the whole drawing,so I want to make a new video tutorial on draw a helmet.but Andrew,if you can improve the spline tool a little,it would be more easy to drawing.That is,make the spline in draw mode fully match(snap to) a curved surface just as it does in retopo mode.beacause when drawing with spline on a curved surface, part of the drawed line some times is covered by the surface.

next,we need paint with closed spline mode(like paint with ellipse mode). and if you can make the closed spline as a marquee, I would cheer for a week.

That could be cool if you will make tut:)

About splines: they are not snapped precisely only if there are 2 points, if there are 3 or more points it will snap perfectly (I can make that 2 points will work in the same way).

Marquee: now I am trying to finish 2.10 and it is not easy task :) But I know that marquee is very required feature :)

I know I'm not the first one to mention it, but full bezier edit of splines (with all these handles and corners) would be great :)

But don't take an example from Photoshop ... Corel Draw or Inkscape way of making/editing splines is much better.