3DCoat Forums

Importing lowpoly Geometry without subdividing the mesh

h11533858

I want to touch up textures for a mesh that is already highly optimized and therefore not suitable for subdivision. I do not require any displacement but I want to be able to edit the normal map using the depth tools. However it seems to be impossible to import a mesh without subidividing it. Also it would be great if the spline tool could be used to smooth.

I want to touch up textures for a mesh that is already highly optimized and therefore not suitable for subdivision. I do not require any displacement but I want to be able to edit the normal map using the depth tools. However it seems to be impossible to import a mesh without subidividing it. Also it would be great if the spline tool could be used to smooth.

Painting without subdivision is one of upcoming features of 3D-Coat 3.0.

Smooth along spline - there is "set plane along spline". But smoothing is also could be done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Smooth along spline - there is "set plane along spline". But smoothing is also could be done.

Andrew: You just sold yourself another copy of 3DCoat. =]

Painting low rez meshes and editing normal maps will be a huge benefit for games work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Thats amasing!

Using the "Drawn Contor" under sculpt would be even more useful though :) Then on hard edge objects such as armour we could smooth the length of a hard edge uniformally :)

..come to think of it now I'm happing using it only for the displacement object as it'll be used pretty much on high poly counts only