3DCoat Forums

Hair and Tree plans?

wailingmonkey

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

I know you're very excited to get going on volumetric sculpting (as I am to

see your implementation), but I wondered if you were still going to look into

integrating a hair solution (some form of plane-strips creation/control for alpha-based

hair?...could see you potentially making use of your retopo code in terms of the actual

strip creation). Also, I wondered where your tree/foliage tool fit into the picture? Both

of these seem to be immediate assets I'd be interested in paying for as well, in

addition to your new 3.0 upgrade path. ;)

Have time for a roadmap update? :lol:

Kind regards,

wailingmonkey

I've been using the paint effects feature in Maya to create hair on alpha plains with great results. If you brush along a 2d paint effects canvas and use some of the procedural brushes in the Maya visor, you get some really clean alpha's without working very hard at it. I discovered this method from this tutorial:

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/maya/lowpolyHair/

So, I'm thinking if Andrew decides to make some sort of procedural hair brush presets with alpha's, this would work.

-Rod

My roadmap is:

1) Create volumetric sculpting possibility in 3D-Coat. Trees will be part on v-sculpting, you will be able to grow and shape trees there.

2) Make direct painting over UV in addition to standart painting (new implementation differs from projection and microvertex painting) - it will give best quality of painting.

It are 2 major features for 3.0

After 3.0 in one of the next updates I plan to make hairs and fur using many polygones with alpha mask or lines with transparency gradient.