3DCoat Forums

V4 overworking graphics card

BUILD: 4.0.03(GL64) Mac OS
HARDWARE: 2008 Mac Pro 3.2ghz 8 cores
BUG DESCRIPTION: Fans rev up to full throttle and stay there
STEPS TO REPRODUCE: Open 3D Coat or send object to 3D Coat via applink

Once an object is either created or imported no matter how light - even a cube the fans kick in really hard and become really noisy. They will not calm down until after a restart or shutting down.

I know my system is old but nothing else I use does this. The only time this has ever occurred before is with Octane Render which was not entirely surprising!

I have to quit after a few minutes use as the noise becomes unbearable and I'm worried that continuing in 3D Coat will cook my card (stock NVidia GeForce 8800 GT).

Can Cuda acceleration be turned off in the Mac version? I'm posting this as I did not have this problem in ver 3.7.

Many thanks

Brian

• Advanced Member

Sorry I cant offer a reason to this but can share the grief! I have the same card as this but in windows pc.When I first got the computer ( maybe 4+ years) The graphics card was a bit of a screamer for most things ,I think it uses a quite small fan so probably had to go faster to keep up.What I ended up doing was replacing the fan with a special kit that basically was a new heatsink with two massive fans( compared to the original)plus a knob for each fan to control the speed.I have them set quite slow at the moment,they barely make a sound.No problem up to now.But my main processor fan does kick in when I use Coat to do "hard sums".( it also cranks up when I look at websites with a lot of annoying moving advertising!) Interesting what you say about Cuda, maybe I should turn it off and see what the difference is if any.

May be our tech has seen better days eh :(

I plan to get a completely silent pc for my next one....whenever that will be, anyone want to hire me for a £1000

Yes old hardware is a drag. Although my Mac is quite old - nearly 5 years, the card was replaced under AppleCare about 6 or 7 months ago.

It was unfortunate that at the time Apple would only replace like for like. However for the most part it does not complain even when I put it through hell with very large /heavy models in Lightwave / Cinema4d / CityEngine etc.

It handles CAD well too. Performance is not very good with Substance Designer, which is very GPU intensive but the fans do not scream at me. My big concern here is that the fans to not calm down after quitting 3D Coat unless I restart / shut down and that version 3.7 did not have this problem - performance with 3.7 is pretty good too.

3.7 and 4.0 are same in consuming PC resources, ALL depends on how heavy is your scene.

This problem was discussed a lot. IT IS NORMAL that program takes PC resources. PC is designed for that.

But old computers may have a lot of dust and coolers even may stop work.

In my experience Apple productions works well for 3 years and then stops to work.

I guess my system is too old for v 4. Will roll back to v 3.7 which is not causing my fans to make such a noise.

We have been very lucky with Apple products, my wife's MBP is 8 years old and still good. I have a G3 here from 1998 still running a vintage copy of Electric Image with a 16Mb ATI Radeon card!!

• Advanced Member

i have imac 2008 with 8800 GS and it burn twice

but 3dcoat versions are evolving and i did use this computer without problems for long up to this burn out replace burn again,now i dont.this was last year.

in my 2010 macbookpro i dont have the sligtest problem with coat,but when using it,fans go from normal 2000 rpm up to 4500,just like that!

long live 3D