3DCoat Forums

Merged Voxel Instances to Retopo Shared UVs advice needed

Zafio

Hi!, Say I got something like this:

http://skfb.ly/5lk43h2feb

The arms would be instanced, and I would like to merge them into the body layer so there are no "seams", but I would also like the arms to share the same UV after retopo.

I guess AUTOPO is out of the picture (it would create different geometry on each arm, right?)...

The idea I have right now is: retopo the body & one arm > unwrap both > export to Blender > manually clone and position the arms and merge/weld them to the body > bring the whole thing to 3DCoat again and Bake...

So question is, do you guys know an easier/quicker way to do this?

Regards.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi!, Say I got something like this:

http://skfb.ly/5lk43h2feb

The arms would be instanced, and I would like to merge them into the body layer so there are no "seams", but I would also like the arms to share the same UV after retopo.

I guess AUTOPO is out of the picture (it would create different geometry on each arm, right?)...

The idea I have right now is: retopo the body & one arm > unwrap both > export to Blender > manually clone and position the arms and merge/weld them to the body > bring the whole thing to 3DCoat again and Bake...

So question is, do you guys know an easier/quicker way to do this?

Regards.

To me....it seems you are trying to avoid UV's, which is a lot easier and faster to do than you think. I would Autopo that thing and use UV Path to select the seams. Andrew did a killer job on the UV path tool...it's so much better than the point to point seam selection in 3ds Max. And it is the perfect tool to make quick work of Autopo meshes (that has irregular topology in some areas). I think you'd spend a lot let time going that route than than trying to clone instances of the arms.

Just my 2 cents.

manually clone and position the arms and merge/weld them to the body

but... where do you think to mark seams ?

doing symmetrical uvs could use overlapped UVs... but need same polycount and seams in every arm

retopo room

select one arm island, in uvpreview copy island ctrl+c

select another arm, in uvpreview paste island ctrl+v

island are overlapped

To me....it seems you are trying to avoid UV's, which is a lot easier and faster to do than you think. I would Autopo that thing and use UV Path to select the seams. Andrew did a killer job on the UV path tool...it's so much better than the point to point seam selection in 3ds Max. And it is the perfect tool to make quick work of Autopo meshes (that has irregular topology in some areas). I think you'd spend a lot let time going that route than than trying to clone instances of the arms.

I want to avoid wasting UV space on the arms, but the approach you suggest would save a lot of time indeed. I guess saving time wins, I doubt anybody would appreciate a little bit extra detail on the texture anyway :D

Thanks!

but... where do you think to mark seams ?

You mean where in the geometry or in which application?

I would mark seams on the root of the arm, right before it starts to blend with the body...

As for application I guess it doesn't matter as long as I unwrap right away.

doing symmetrical uvs could use overlapped UVs... but need same polycount and seams in every arm

retopo room

select one arm island, in uvpreview copy island ctrl+c

select another arm, in uvpreview paste island ctrl+v

island are overlapped

I will try that, thanks!