3DCoat Forums

Some of the UV Islands in a symmetric model are asymmetrical

zzz7net

1) foot uv-shells are asymmetrical after uvs unwrap

2) all other uv-shells of the body are symmetrical as you can see

3) the model itself has an absolutely symmetric topology

In spite of the fact that foots have an identical uvmark seams,

their uv islands are totally different. why?

post-11846-0-38958100-1377247474_thumb.j

Edited by zzz7net

• Reputable Contributor

Not sure, but you can fix that by selecting the island you want to correct > CTRL + C (or click the COPY button in the UV section of the tool panel) > select the island you want to conform it to > CTRL + V. It should give you two identical islands now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMeEAvT7wY8&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z5h8T0c7BU&list=PLlQ3JITh9bXOfcZqGuO8gClZisN6yUd1x&index=12

Edited by AbnRanger
  • Like 1

hmm the first thing I would check is whilst in the Retopo room, look to see if down the bottom it says Perfect Symmetry.  Often and I don't know the cause but it can get out of synch from left side to right side even slightly with symmetry turned on so it might have done this.  I miss it all the time as I don't expect a mesh with symmetry on to stop randomly replicating each alteration I do.

I'll note that tip down as well Abn, that will likely come in handy :) 

yes copy-paste works! thanks AbnRanger!

But I would like to know why this happens? I mean asymmetry in the uv-layout.

Reset symmetry planes and turn on symmetry back didn't help me with that issue.

I've saw Jax_Cavalera wrote something about Perfect Symmetry. Could anybody give the interpretation of his post into good english?

sorry but I did understand you Jax incompletely.

Hey there, let me try that again.

When you are working with True Symmetry turned on under the Retopo Menu (Whilst in the Retopo Room) you will see down the bottom either Red writing saying Partial Symmetry and then a percentage, or you will see Green writing saying Perfect Symmetry.

-  Down the Bottom = the Status bar at the very bottom of the 3D Coat Program Window.

-  True Symmetry is turned on when you UNCHECK the Virtual Symmetry checkbox under the Retopo Menu

sometimes all this needs is for you to select the option Apply Symmetry to all layers and it will be resolved and go back to saying Perfect Symmetry at the bottom.

Hope this makes more sense.

• Reputable Contributor

yes copy-paste works! thanks AbnRanger!

But I would like to know why this happens? I mean asymmetry in the uv-layout.

Reset symmetry planes and turn on symmetry back didn't help me with that issue.

I've saw Jax_Cavalera wrote something about Perfect Symmetry. Could anybody give the interpretation of his post into good english?

sorry but I did understand you Jax incompletely.

Yeah, I agree. That's a bit puzzling, as I can't remember that ever happening to me. If you clicked APPLY SYMMETRY, then turned the Symmetry plane off before clicking UNWRAP, then it should come out correctly.

Edited by AbnRanger

I'm actually a bit confused now.  So the problem where working with Symmetry turned on breaks when all you are using are the Brush, Move Vertices, Del Polygon, Del Vertices, and other basic retopo tools does not happen to other users?

It really seems like this may be why my Baking isn't working either then.. since I am sure that I've done all the right things.   Clean topography, no inner depth inside the outer depth etc.. I may need to try downloading the newest version of 3D Coat while I'm away this weekend it might be done by the time I get home.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm actually a bit confused now.  So the problem where working with Symmetry turned on breaks when all you are using are the Brush, Move Vertices, Del Polygon, Del Vertices, and other basic retopo tools does not happen to other users?

It really seems like this may be why my Baking isn't working either then.. since I am sure that I've done all the right things.   Clean topography, no inner depth inside the outer depth etc.. I may need to try downloading the newest version of 3D Coat while I'm away this weekend it might be done by the time I get home.

I'm not really sure what you're referring to. Symmetry breaks what?

Yes it breaks as in down the bottom, you can see it starts off as Perfect Symmetry.  Then as I manipulate on the Right side (Character's Left Side) it changes at some point to Partial Symmetry xx.xx%  usually around 98.99%

I then have to re-apply symmetry to all layers even though it should be live as I have virtual symmetry turned off.. and then it goes back to Perfect Symmetry again for a while..

I also see that baking issues were fixed in a recent beta release of 3D Coat so that may be what is causing the issues with my baking.

Now it's more clear to me about Perfect Symmetry. Thanks Jax.

And yes I can't remember that this symmetry problem ever happening to me too when I was working in 3d-coat v3.3.0

But now it is with the foots of my model in v4.0.0.4 even if I`m in the Perfect Symmetry mode.

Maybe it is because I'm using already existing retopo mesh which I had done a long time ago.

And I should check up model transform axis be the perfectly world orientated again before import and snap it to the reference mesh.

Anyway thanks dudes again. I still don't want to believe that it is application fault instead of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is. Symmetry breaks when you're using those tools.

At the end of retopo All you have it is Partial Symmetry ~ 99.5% - 99.8%

not the Perfect Symmtery! even if you re-apply symmetry to all layers