3DCoat Forums

Newbie needs help! :)

Space76Ghost

Hello!

I just joined in hopes of learning 3D-Coat! I really love the ease of the interface it offers. I'm a newbie at 3D Modeling. I've been an artist all my life and thought I would venture into the 3D world!

I've got the basics down, but need help with adding texture to my model. I imported an OBJ model from Poser. I want to add realistic skin. I have an image imported to the materials section and have it selected. However when I paint onto the model I noticed the color is orange instead of the skin color I chose? I'm using V4 of 3D-Coat. Below is an image if it helps find a solution. I bet it has something to do with my settings. Just can't figure it out how to change to the texture of the photo / image.

If someone could point me in the right direction I appreciate it. Thank you! Glad to be here and looking forward to learning a lot here!

post-37853-0-36883100-1378223567_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, the color you have chosen is additive to the color you are projecting (with the Material overlay). You can either right-click over the color swatch (to toggle it off) or choose a white color to prevent any color tint from being added (white has not color tint).

Thanks!

My next question is, I just created pants with retopology. I'm ready to give it cloth. How do I transfer the model and the pants to the Voxels so I can give it cloth. I watched a video but when I hit the Voxels tab my model does not show up. Any videos how to do this? Thanks again!

• Contributor

Hi Ghost.

I'm not sure what video have you watched, but retopo meshes don't transfer to Voxel Room just by changing rooms. You'll have to either:

- switch to Voxel Room, choose the Merge tool and click the Pick from retopo button;

OR

- export them to a file using the Retopo->Export command, switch rooms to Voxel Room and import them there using the Merge->Select mesh tool.

Be aware that voxels require from the mesh to have some thickness. You can either Merge as skin and set some mesh thickness or ignore voxels and merge directly to surface mode without any thickness.

(Note: if you want to do cloth simulation, it's available in voxel mode only)

• Reputable Contributor

Hi Ghost.

I'm not sure what video have you watched, but retopo meshes don't transfer to Voxel Room just by changing rooms. You'll have to either:

- switch to Voxel Room, choose the Merge tool and click the Pick from retopo button;

OR

- export them to a file using the Retopo->Export command, switch rooms to Voxel Room and import them there using the Merge->Select mesh tool.

Be aware that voxels require from the mesh to have some thickness. You can either Merge as skin and set some mesh thickness or ignore voxels and merge directly to surface mode without any thickness.

(Note: if you want to do cloth simulation, it's available in voxel mode only)

It's not a voxel object when you run the cloth sim....only AFTER you've run the simulation and are OK with the results. Then, when you hit APPLY or the ENTER key, does it get voxelized. I believe 3D Coat gives it some thickness by default.

• Reputable Contributor

What I had in mind is that Cloth tool is accessible only when currently selected layer is in voxels mode.

Oh...got it. Speaking of the cloth tool, I wish Andrew would allow us to paint select and area (like with Vox Layer, Smoother and Angulator) to pin/anchor the cloth object...like the waist line of pants or the collar of a shirt/jacket. That would make the tool so much more useful and handy.

Are there any tutorials or videos that show you how to merge / export / import properly? I'm having some difficulty doing this. I really appreciate the help and advice! Thank you. I think 3D-Coat is awesome. I run it on a laptop almost 10 yrs old. It is about the only thing I can use that runs decent on my laptop to make clothing for my poser models.