3D Coat Forums
AniRhythm

Importing textured mesh

Hi All, 

I'm trying to import some characters I already have that are pretty much done and want to touch them up  - they already have textures and I just want to add a few details ....but I can't for the life of me figure out how to import these objects with their textures.   ie -  I use iclone -  I want to import the character bodies and paint over the existing textures.

I would also like to use a program like archipelis to draft basic shapes and start basic carvings before I convert the model to voxels for more detail.  but everything keeps importing gray

Thank you!

~Ricky

update-  i figured out how - with just importing textures ....but now on the 2nd part -  subdividing mesh and converting to voxels ....do I have to reimport the mesh specificially for voxels or is there a way to convert ?  

basically  on the archipelis models  -  I want to import,  subdivide -  do basic adjustments then convert to voxels for more detail.    -  I suppose I'll lose the texture and have to import it as a background image at the voxel level .....but is there a way to keep it a basic workflow like i mentioned above without having to re-import ...simply for the sake of brevity and disk space lol 

also wish I had more tools on the tweak page -  in iclone -  in order to make morph faces,  I have to stick to modding their mesh and keeping it the same face count ...so if I converted to voxels -  iclone would reject it simply because the face count / edge loops changed,  thus limiting me greatly to how much I can morph faces.  -  bringing that point up in case I'm missing a feature in 3D coat that would make this possible.

Thanks again :) 

Hi

You cant use textures in the voxelroom.

Because Voxel and Surface Mode cant keep the information of your UVs.

If you want to sculp on your modell you could bake it later to your basic model or create a new retopo model.

If you want to paint only, import your model into the paintroom.

Thanks.  I've gotten through a good chunk of the 3D Coat tools,  but wasn't sure about the most basic things lol.....I appreciate the response,  helps me confirm I wasn't missing something and I have to adjust in the workflow. :) 

would be nice though to have textures in voxels -  this way I could ..for example ....wrap a picture of someone on the voxels and carve it out right on the picture.  Or even edit a standard mesh by voxels proxy -  but I suppose that wouldn't work if the main mesh is substantially lower in face count..

Still trying to find my workflow with the tools I use -  for making models from scratch -  the voxels are amazing -  but for modding items that have strict rules - it's a bit more challenging!

Cheers :)

If you merge a model in (from the Voxel Workspace), that has UV's and texture maps assigned to it, residing in the same directory, 3D Coat will bake/convert the textures to the vertices of the model (vertex paint) in the Voxel Workspace. So that could be a decent starting point to do further Voxel/Vertex Painting...if you wanted to go that route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0j3eOUZqug&list=PLlQ3JITh9bXOfcZqGuO8gClZisN6yUd1x&index=15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ePLDKL3fw&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=33

Edited by AbnRanger

update-  i figured out how - with just importing textures ....but now on the 2nd part -  subdividing mesh and converting to voxels ....do I have to reimport the mesh specificially for voxels or is there a way to convert ?  

basically  on the archipelis models  -  I want to import,  subdivide -  do basic adjustments then convert to voxels for more detail.    -  I suppose I'll lose the texture and have to import it as a background image at the voxel level .....but is there a way to keep it a basic workflow like i mentioned above without having to re-import ...simply for the sake of brevity and disk space lol 

also wish I had more tools on the tweak page -  in iclone -  in order to make morph faces,  I have to stick to modding their mesh and keeping it the same face count ...so if I converted to voxels -  iclone would reject it simply because the face count / edge loops changed,  thus limiting me greatly to how much I can morph faces.  -  bringing that point up in case I'm missing a feature in 3D coat that would make this possible.

Thanks again :)

You actually have more tools inside the MOVE/SELECT tool. When you click on it, you'll see a bunch of options available in the TOOL OPTIONS panel. Including gradient selections and transform tools.

Thank you very much, the videos you posted are what i wanted to see -  so far I spent most of my video watching trying to get the hang of what the tools do.

I noticed the different choices in the move / select  -  still trying to get use to all the different tools in different modes -  sometimes in voxels i'm looking for the move tools and sometimes in the mesh I wish I had the voxel tools .....same with hard surface too -  with time and practice I suppose knowing what mode to go to for specific tasks will come more fluent - for now though I spend a ton of time going "I know that tool is around here somewhere!"  in the wrong mode lol

Cheers!

You can do Morph targets pretty well in the Tweak Room, but you could also do them in the Voxel Room as well.

1) Import your base (low poly) mesh into the Retopo Room.

2) Click the grid icon at the bottom of the Retopo Groups layer panel (that says select all faces on layer)

3) Click the CLONE button in the tool panel. Repeat as many times as you need to create all the Phonemes/Visemes you want.

4) Hide all but the original layer

5) Go to the Voxel Room and click the MERGE button in the Tool panel.

6) At the bottom of the TOOL OPTIONS panel, click PICK FROM RETOPO

7) Hit the ENTER key (or the APPLY button at the top of the TOOL OPTIONS panel), to commit the preview object to a layer. You may need to click SMOOTH ALL (tool panel) a time or two.

Once the object is committed to a layer, and looks like a good starting point, drag and drop the layer into the Models pallet. You may want to go to the top right hand portion of the pallet and create a new folder first (name it according to the project or model?), first. We can re-use this model as a base each time we start to create a new morph target

8 When you use the MOVE, POSE, or TRANSFORM tools, make sure to check CONFORM RETOPO MESH at the top of the UI, in the Tool bar. This will shape/conform your retopo mesh to the changes as you work.

9) Hide all of the Retopo layers except the one you want to work with (name the layers according to the phonemes).

10 ) Create the morph shapes in the Voxel Room, with those tools and if you need to use brushes to sculpt, just go back into the Retopo room and massage the Retopo mesh to conform (use the BRUSH tool to just nudge or smooth the area with the SHIFT key held down). With Autosnapping checked (top of the UI), it should be easy enough. It's the LARGE changes that are done with the Move, Pose or Transform tools that would otherwise be difficult, without the CONFORM RETOPO MESH feature.

Conform/Update Retopo Mesh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3wgVOIU8nA&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=44

Kitbashing (storing and retrieving models in the MODELS pallet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om2mATMsJjA&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD

Creating Morph targets in Tweak Room:

http://vimeo.com/9394361

Edited by AbnRanger

Ok, not intending to hijack this thread but it seems close to what i need to do. I have a terrain I pulled in from USGS data, textured it and normal mapped it etc., This was done in c4d. I've since exported as fbx, opened in MAX, then exported as OBJ ready to go to 3DC. All I need to do is refine the mesh so to add some caves and stuff that the satellite missed, as well as fix the texture where it's stretched by painting and cloning etc. What is the EASIEST way to do this without having to re-map the terrains material/UV when all is said and done?

I do want to add a bit of detail but not much because I don't want C4D to choke when I render. Plus there are some other meshes that will be added and bring up the poly count above the terrain. Anyone can help please? This would be VERY appreciated.