3DCoat Forums

The future of filmmaking ?

Lucasfilm shows off the future of filmmaking ?  :huh: 
http://www.shacknews.com/article/81255/star-wars-1313-tech-to-live-on-in-movies

Scenes get rendered out in real time, removing the need for post-production.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2295956/lucasfilm-will-combine-video-games-and-movies-to-axe-post-production-process

Speaking at the Technology Strategy Board event at BAFTA in London this week, the company's chief technology strategy officer Kim Libreri announced that the developments in computer graphics have meant Lucasfilm has been able to transfer its techniques to film-making, shifting video game assets into movie production.

• Contributor

Not sure it's RT. In motion capture you still have to reprocess the captured move to adapt to your target mesh. Maybe they did it pretty quick but I'm not sure it's not a reenactment here. Cool nonetheless.

This is not a movie btw, this was a tech demo of the engine behind the canceled game project "starwars 1313".

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2295956/lucasfilm-will-combine-video-games-and-movies-to-axe-post-production-process

"Everyone has seen what we can do in movies, and I think most people will agree the video game industry is catching up quite quickly, especially in the next generation of console titles. I'm pretty sure within the next decade, we're going to see a convergence in terms of traditional visual effects capabilities - [such as] making realistic fire, creatures, and environments - but working completely interactively," Libreri said.

"We think that computer graphics are going to be so realistic in real time computer graphics that, over the next decade, we'll start to be able to take the post out of post-production; where you'll leave a movie set and the shot is pretty much complete," Libreri said.

Lucasfilm is confident in this concept as it has been testing it in the development of a series of prototypes created with the team at Lucasfilm's motion picture visual effects company Industrial Light & Magic (ILM).

• Contributor

Replacing renders with rt engines no doubt, but I was talking about performance capture, and I highly doubt this video is them performing live, we've seen a few similar setup and they were all much less accurate than this (regarding body movement not facial capture).

Even James cameron didn't have such fidelity in previs software during the shooting of avatar. And the budget was there. The rendering tech is catching up very quickly (and I can confirm it as I'm witnessing it day after day on the field ^^) but the movement capture is still a long process that needs a lot of fiddling with the data to get to a good real time reproduction. This is the lacking part right now.

Some other tech are in use now, starting to develop a very a different approach (no more markers) with full body movement capture imho if studios are accepting to use the ginormous amount of data this tech is outputing (very costly, and dwarfing avatar's 8gb/s rendering)  it could be the end of tracked performance capture (and it could also give a totally new exposure to software like 3dcoat...)