3DCoat Forums

Need advice on how to sculpt this feature

ElSte17

Hello,

I am currently modelling a sword from the Lord of the Rings and I am having trouble adding a certain detail. 

The detail I am referring to is the golden leaf design that spiral/wraps around the hilt of the sword.

I was able to create a simple indent in the hilt that can be seen in the image by using the spline brush stroke. 

I cannot figure out a good/efficient/uniform way of drawing on the leaf pattern though...  The perfect way would be if I could create the leaf pattern as a "strip" and use the spline stroke, but I cannot figure out how to make my own strip and it would need to be seamless which seems even more difficult.

The issue with drawing it on manually is that it would be extremely difficult to make each leaf look uniform/clean cut and in a straight line, especially while trying to wrap around the blade.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can add this detail properly?

Thanks

post-38241-0-28028100-1391232243_thumb.j

Some work, but very easy.

- Create a leaf pattern in a seperate layer for the leaf element. The element should be able to be repeated.

- Create a new layer and prepare the handle by modeling a straight cylinder, that represets the straight length and diametre of your later handle.

- Warp your leaf pattern layer now by using the warp tool. Use the warp type "twist". Twist the leafs around your handle.

- When ready with the leafs, merge your leafs into the handle and deform the handle then to get the needed end shape.

This helps to prepare the basic elements.

There are nice knife tutorials by Cleitus who shows how to create great blade objects. There you will get some tips about the handle elements.

-> http://3dcoat.blogspot.de/2014/01/knife-tutorials-by-claitus.html

Hope this helps a bit. I have no time yet to prepare a small tutorial.

Best wishes

Chris

Solved:

Tried the warp but I couldn't get it to suit my purposes as I am simply trying to only have to retexture the model without altering the mesh at all, so deforming the handle to the warped design wasnt an option.

However, I figured out how to make a brush alpha in the shape of one leaf segment and now I am simply extruding each individual leaf out across the handle.  It is more time consuming than I had hoped for but it at least provides a uniform shape across the whole design and I can add each leaf in the correction position to prevent a jittery/wobbly line.

Thanks regardless for the warp suggestion, I didn't know how to do that before and no doubt it will come in handy in the future!

• Advanced Member

I don't know. But a nice idea... I am always looking for new tutorial ideas. :)

Edit: I just see, Don has a tip.

Yes please do a tut showing how to wrap a design around a cylindrical object. I've played with this tool but I just don't understand.

Yes please do a tut showing how to wrap a design around a cylindrical object. I've played with this tool but I just don't understand.

I have a schedule for some tutorials that have priority but I keep the idea in mind. First I would like finish my current series. :)