3DCoat Forums

Merging with Per Pixel problem

ElSte17

Hello,

When I merge with per pixel i am getting these weird black squares all over my object and a few other distortions on the rest of it.

I tried using micro vertex as well, but that made the colors extremely pale and faded for some reason.

post-38241-0-57822300-1391397458_thumb.j

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks

Edit:  Furthermore, it seems that the reason my handle looks messed up is because I used two clones of the handle overlapping each other.... one handle with a gold material that I made a tiny bit smaller and the normal skin material handle overlapping that one.  I did this so I could extrude the golden details from inside the Skin handle to the outside.  It looks fine in the voxel screen but when I try to bake it, it tries baking the skin handle and the gold handle mixed up together.

Edited by ElSte17

To avoid them you should bake the models separately. Use the option "Check groups and volumes correspondens" to bake them seperately.

The voxel model and the retopo layer should have the same names. 3D-Coat will check the names and bake the elements with the same name only.

Example:

"handle" (voxel layer name) -> "handle" (same retopo layer name)

This would bake the voxel infos from the "handle" voxel layer to the corresponding "handle" retopo layer. All other voxel layers would be ignored by the retopo handle layer.

If you need the other layers, you must set a retopo layer for them, that have the same name.

Are you shure you are using one single retopo mesh for the blade? Maybe two equal models are overlapping?

Yes, there is only one retopo mesh for the blade.  I think maybe this has to do with the fact that I have both sides of the blade corresponding to the same spot on the UV map in order to mirror the texture...maybe I did this wrong?

Also uncheck "Show voxels in the Paint room" in the View menu.

I did, that isn't the issue.  

I tried using the "cutoff" tool to cut the blade in half so that it bakes only one side and that seemed to solve the checkered-black pattern, but I can't figure out how to cleanly cut the blade EXACTLY in half.....I tried lining it up on the grid lines and using a rectangle but I still end up cutting off parts of the blade...

Edited by ElSte17

Did you tried to cut with the spline selection? "E"-key. Don't forget to set the view from perspective to orthogonal. This results in a streight cut,

I will try this.  However how can I avoid this problem in the future?

I saw that most professional texture maps apply symmetrical faces all to the same spot on the UV map... for example on the sword, both sides of the blade will be identical, so instead of having two spots on the UV map for the blade, you overlap them and only have one.

So I tried doing that, but when I do that and load a mesh to voxelize it and then bake that onto the low poly object, the software gets confused and tries to bake both sides of the voxel to both sides of the retopo mesh each, resulting in a checkered-black square texture.

Is the only way to avoid this to either have a 1-1 mapping for every face to a spot on the UV, or to cut my voxels in half always?

If possible you could send me your model and I will check it.

It is always better to see the scene here. I don't really know how your retopo mesh is build up and what kind of baking settings you use.

Send me a PM with a link if you like.