3DCoat Forums

Environment Modelling?

ScrotieFlapWack

• Advanced Member

Hi Guys,

I am running into some problems. I am currently developing a game with a team of people and I am trying to model the environment, we want to take a modular approach to this. I am really struggling to start something in 3D - Coat. Would simple planes be ok to model the walls and floors and then use other primitives for detailed things in the environment? 

I find that most things done in 3D - Coat are character based and I haven't seen anyone use it for modelling environmental things like buildings, scenes etc. I really want to use 3D - Coat because I haven't been using it as much as I should (I've bought the full commercial version and at the moment feel like its just taking space up on my hard drive).

Any help on how to get started, such as the right tools to use, should I model in voxel mode or surface? 

Thanks.

Edited by ScrotieFlapWack

• Reputable Contributor

One approach is to use kitbashing modeling.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7004 (Oil Rig)

All the shapes in the video were made using the default 3Dcoat primitives, curves and meshes and stamping them into the voxel volume. Of course this a hard surface model spaceship but shows what can be done.

Another example.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=248

Here a link that has some helpful tutorials.

Scroll through the list to to see the ones on terrain, rocks, pillars...

http://www.psionicgames.com/tutorials/3d-coat-tutorials/

You can save modular components you make by dragging the layer up to the models panel. That way you would not have to build each part over again.

Also the retopo mesh can be saved now in the retopo room to a retopo mesh panel. Again so you would not have to retopo each modular component over again.

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Ahh wow cheers digman! I really need to brush up my skills I am still pretty new to all this and retopo isn't something I full understand how to do in 3D - Coat. I know that retopologizing your model is essentially lower the polycount for your model for game use along with making sure your topology is clean for your UV's as well. I feel I still have a lot to learn though 

• Contributor

I'm working on a project that would be unwieldy with my 12 GB of RAM, so I break it up in to parcels to work on and then assemble them in proxy mode to make minor adjustments. Not pictured here are the walls, steps, foundation stones and ground plane.post-1430-0-10817000-1394738303_thumb.pn

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks Denis. I have taken a look at his channel. A lot of very good videos. When I get some extra cash I am hoping to get more of Jarvis tutorial videos's. I bought the Atlas Armour tutorial after about 2 hours of following the video's I feel pretty comfortable modelling simple things in 3D - Coat. Thanks to digman aswell for showing me some stuff about boolean operations and retopo etc that helped me alot!