3DCoat Forums

sculpting tools for non-sculptors?

type3secretion

I've used 3D coat to texture map images and decorate musical instrument CAD designs and then 3D print them.

I would love to be able to do something similar with embossed or etched/carved patterns: "paint" them over the surface of an object imported into 3D-coat, controlling size, depth/height, texture, etc.

Are there any such sculpting tools for pre-made patterned carving, embossing, etc? If yes, I'm sorry it was not clear to me from what I could find online.

Thanks,

t3s

You can load a shape

letter E

and to use it for cut, extrude, etc...

Hi thanks. I was looking for more complex shapes. Vines and flowers, animals. Something like a paint brush pattern or texture map but in 3D. Could be a good business for modelers. :) Make a library of 3D art that can be easily "applied" to a surface.

• Reputable Contributor

Here is one way...

Surface Mode:

InflateClay brush

E-Panel Stamping tool. (looks like an X)

Increase the depth for the extrusion as much as needed for the design. Mine was set at 400 manually, just to show the effect.

I used a flower brush alpha I created

Set the detail level (tool options panel) to whatever you need to get a nice clean stamp. You can manually set it up to 10.

If that is not enough use the Subdivide tool (top left tool panel) and increase the polygons in the area that you will stamp the relief on...

Press the left mouse key or your tablet key and the relief will be stamped on the surface.

Now you can create your own alphas for reliefs. In my case here I used an obj file from a sculpting I had started to make. (Wip) for creating a brush alpha.

In the brush panel select on new and even though it only saids to open an texture file, it will open an obj file and give you a dialog box to adjust for the creation of the alpha based off the obj file.

Of couse you can create your alpha brushes in a 2D paint program as well and import them as an alpha brush for relief work.

When I am all done I use the reduce tool to remove the extra heavy detail around the stamp but leaving all the details on the stamp of course.

Sorry for showing just one alpha stamp but you will get the idea. Kinda busy right now...

post-518-0-96153500-1396573143_thumb.png

Edited by digman

Here is one way...

Surface Mode:

InflateClay brush

E-Panel Stamping tool. (looks like an X)

Increase the depth for the extrusion as much as needed for the design. Mine was set at 400 manually, just to show the effect.

I used a flower brush alpha I created

Set the detail level (tool options panel) to whatever you need to get a nice clean stamp. You can manually set it up to 10.

If that is not enough use the Subdivide tool (top left tool panel) and increase the polygons in the area that you will stamp the relief on...

Press the left mouse key or your tablet key and the relief will be stamped on the surface.

Now you can create your own alphas for reliefs. In my case here I used an obj file from a sculpting I had started to make. (Wip) for creating a brush alpha.

In the brush panel select on new and even though it only saids to open an texture file, it will open an obj file and give you a dialog box to adjust for the creation of the alpha based off the obj file.

Of couse you can create your alpha brushes in a 2D paint program as well and import them as an alpha brush for relief work.

When I am all done I use the reduce tool to remove the extra heavy detail around the stamp but leaving all the details on the stamp of course.

Sorry for showing just one alpha stamp but you will get the idea. Kinda busy right now...

Thanks very much to everyone for all the help. I'll start trying this out!