3DCoat Forums

Mudbox 2009 online docs are available.

rimasson

We are targeting to release the UI live with the 3.0 release...

BUT, for now Andrew and his team are focused on the preformance, stability and toolset of the new 3.0 release. This is his primary goal for the release, we will try to put in there the UI. If time schedule make this impossible, the new UI will be available for a 3.x release.

But we are working hard on it to make it available with 3.0... so cross you fingers.

P.S : We are listening to the ideas you have in mind, but also take in consideration that we won't be able to implement every single idea that will pop up in here, since the hole UI need to be consistent and unified in the hole 3DC experience.

A.

• Advanced Member
Ok people, time for a little insight to calm down a little bit the things going on here...

I'm "involved" in the new 3D-Coat UI design. So I wanted to make some statements here about the new UI Design :

The two options will be available to use, "text only" interface and "icon based" interface, and both at the same time if you wish. For the icon based one the layout will be different, icons will be redrawn to something that is more representative and "universal" for everyone. Some tools will be renamed to something more universal and common in most 3D applications.

There will be a lot more changes in the UI, but I'm not able to talk about them for now, and we have to plan them with Andrew.

This is a complete overhaul of the interface to make it more Pro, more streamlined, and also to let you arrange it the way you want to fit the best possible your workflow.

As a hint I can give you the word : dockable/undockable panels.

We are taking ideas from well known packages but also implementing ours... so this will be an interseting mix for everyone and I beleive that in the end everyone will be please with the changes, and the custom layouts you will be able to make for youself.

Best regards,

A.

This sounds great, i especially love the new icons for Mudbox 2009 they are pretty easy to understand ,plus they have text. I think Modo can also do icon only,text only, or both. I actually prefer both. Some people are more text incline while others are more visually incline(some people are more left or right brain,its different with every person).

I also like the Mudbox 2009 GUI because its not so "in your face" where i can focus on work and not be bothered with a busy GUI. On the same token, IMO i think the current 3DC icons are "in your face" they need to be more subtle in terms of design and color scheme. Never was a fan of the ZBrush GUI.

in other news, Mudbox 2009 will be released today! hopefully a demo also...

• Advanced Member

@ Arkanis

What im hearing here sounds really good. Seems like you guys have the good idea about it and what stuff is important. Looking forward to see what you (and the rest of the team) make of it. :)

3dioot

Alright people, this will be my last reply on this thread, if you want to continue discussing about the UI design, move it to the new interface sub-forum in volumetric forum.

@Sonk : We will have icon based interface, but not for everything, and in our own way. Some ideas will be taken from the mudbox interface (and you will recognize them), wich I think is great, but other simply won't because they don't adapt, and we want our own flavored UI.

As I said previously, we are taking ideas from other packages, putting in there ours and mixing everything at our own flavor. And that's very important and I beleive that will set us appart form the rest too.

But as I said, there are some things we can't talk about yet. You will all know pretty soon, so don't worry. This is an open community and Andrew first concern is that everyone is please with the tool. So we will be listening as possible as we can, but also following our path of development.

As soon as we get some things working and going, and when Andrew agrees, we will be starting posting screen shots, but not yet, we aren't yet ready. And his first concern now is to work on the tools and make them better.

Anyway, thanks Andrew for this great tool and let hope we will take it to the next level for 3.0

A.

• Advanced Member
I was just coming here to post that.

And I wanna smile above Mudbox's Painting feature...

AH AH AH AH !

3D Coat is a looooooot better than this !

1) 3dc allows blending between layers

2) 3dc send projection to photoshop and viceversa (like zapplink, but with all layers)

Long life to 3D coat !

I installed it (x64 version) and opened the included head model (which is fugly BTW). Played with the basic brush tool at various levels as I subdivided it. It was a little slow moving to the 8mil. poly level, but afterwords the brushes worked fairly well. Then I tried to subdivide one more time to 32 mil polys, that took about 15 minutes. Afterwords the tools were kinda slow but still worked. Next I tried painting color as soon as I clicked the mesh it crashed. I haven't opened it back up again but the options I saw looked fairly slim. One thing I have to say, the smoothing is unusable. Unless I did something wrong I had to hold the brush in the same spot for a good 15 seconds before I even realized it was doing anything. I tried different brush sizes and strengths with the same result each time. Although the sculpting brushes worked well for what they are, it's still no 3DC VS.

I installed it (x64 version) and opened the included head model (which is fugly BTW). Played with the basic brush tool at various levels as I subdivided it. It was a little slow moving to the 8mil. poly level, but afterwords the brushes worked fairly well. Then I tried to subdivide one more time to 32 mil polys, that took about 15 minutes. Afterwords the tools were kinda slow but still worked. Next I tried painting color as soon as I clicked the mesh it crashed. I haven't opened it back up again but the options I saw looked fairly slim. One thing I have to say, the smoothing is unusable. Unless I did something wrong I had to hold the brush in the same spot for a good 15 seconds before I even realized it was doing anything. I tried different brush sizes and strengths with the same result each time. Although the sculpting brushes worked well for what they are, it's still no 3DC VS.

The fluidity at 30+million polygons on my machine is excellent, which is quite a surprise and easily tops everyone else.

But it's really the workflow in MB sculpting cannot be beat however...The simplicity of it's tools means i only generally need 1 to 3 brushes to sculpt generally, and maybe adjust the curve every now and then on them.

I also for example use an Intuos3, So i have my "B" and "Shift-B" for Brush Size/Strength set to a single Wacom Express key, So i can change them really easily with my left thumb pressing either B or shift and B while dragging my pen, it's so intuitive this way and such a pleasure to use.

3DC and ZB are much more fully featured, MB is just such a pleasure to use for it's performance and the speed at which i use it.

I agree that 3DC has better painting already, I'm not really keen on Mudbox painting tools at all.. 3DC and Bodypaint still give a much better experience in this area. 3DC still needs a few little things for me to love it workflow wise, but it's almost there feature wise already.

The price of MB however is too steep considering the competition, and I don't like the fact that MBs an Autodesk program now.... ;)