3DCoat Forums

photo copy & paste?

believable3d

Hi all! Just started reading about 3D Coat on various forums last night and got quite excited as it sounds like a tool that has features I need, and at a reasonable price point. I've downloaded the demo, played with it a bit. Also downloaded the video tutorials, but have only watched a couple.

I'm mostly wanting to do textures & maps for Poser/DAZ figures and accessories, although I would probably do some reshaping too if I can create morphs with the program reasonably well.

Anyway, in a texturing program, what I'd really like is the ability to copy and paste photos/parts of photos (selected with some sort of lasso tool, preferably) onto my model, and do so in layers in such a way that I can blend. I believe BodyPaint has something along these lines.

Note: I'm aware of the "draw using photo" method depicted in the video at the bottom of the video tutorials page. That's kind of cool, but I already have a tool [Argile] that has a similar feature...

I'm looking for something a bit more robust. Just as I can do copy/paste/blend on a flat texture map in Photoshop, I'd like to do it on a 3D surface, if that's making sense.

Does 3D Coat have this ability? If so, where can I learn about using it?

TIA! :)

I am sure draw using photo is best for this purpose, but also you can copy image to clipboard and paste it in 3DC. You will se rectangle that can be applied anywhere.

But, llok at at draw using photo. That video is very old, now it is more convenient.

Thank you for your quick reply, Andrew!

So I can use the draw using photo tool multiple times to cover various angles and parts of the body, as well?

I've been trying the copy and paste.

Actually, it works pretty well, except for two things (and these abilities may be there, but I haven't found them):

1) The user should be able to lower the opacity of the copied photo so that it can be better seen where the placement and sizing is in relation to the model.

2) I haven't found a way to rotate the photo. The resizing and movement otherwise work very well.

EDIT: I also don't see a way to edit the applied pasted image afterward... if that were possible, the need for the lower opacity wouldn't be so acute, and it would be a big plus in a lot of ways.

EDIT #2: Nevermind about the rotate - I figured that one out. :)

Are these things possible?

If so, you have a purchaser today, even though I've quickly come to realize how much of a resource hog this app is for my (quad core) system. :P

TIA!

• Advanced Member
Go to transform tool - there is several sliders (opacity also). It is what you need.

I think believable3d means the "preview", slide the siders won't change the "preview". Anyway, that's works for the final result.