3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Strange UV set when importing Re-topo model into MODO

Elowan

Go to solution Solved by RabenWulf,

hello,

I get a strange "empty" UV set for objects, that I import into MODO from 3DC.

In 3DC, I "AUTOPO" some objects (without creating UV´s!) and export as .fbx

Then, in MODO, I get an "empty UV-set", that I can not remove (found no way yet) - see images

Is there a way to get rid of this?!

Cheers!

post-38872-0-02332800-1419975941_thumb.p

I've also had this happen a few times, as far as the empty UV map goes. It's a pretty odd one that I have not been able to narrow down and make it reproducible.

The empty mesh item on the other hand, I have not had happen before. Which build of 3DC and Modo are you using?

Ok, even when doing a complete UV-Unwrap in 3DC - the exported fbx will not have any UV´s in MODO.

But - when exported as obj, everything is fine - the UV´s are present and there will be no empty UV-Set (!)

So, maybe it is an issue with the fbx-exporter?

Happy new year :)

Hey Malo,

The problem isn't a missing UV set, sorry I was not clear on that.

The fbx exported model from 3DC got an empty UV set, when I open it in modo...

It is empty and can not be deleted in modo.

I made just a simple, quick unwrap in 3DC - three separate uv islands and exported as fbx.

After that I exported the same object as obj.

In modo, only the obj model got right UVs, I made in 3DC - the fbx export did only have an empty

Uv set, see first posting...

Edit: But you're right - will check fbx in another app..could be the modo fbx importer, instead the 3DC exporter

Cheers

Edited by Elowan

• Advanced Member

So since I have all the software mentioned in this thread... I did a few tests.

When you export a retopo mesh as an fbx and load it into Modo Indie you do get a blank UV map taking up a UV slot. You cannot delete or edit this.

My guess is that it has to do with some ID info is missing from the export, it still sends out a UV even though nothing is present, no name or anything else to go off of.

To get around this, just generate a UV inside of 3d Coat before exporting. This way when you load it up into Modo, the UV channel will have a name and can be deleted or altered.

So, before exporting a retopo as an FBX in 3d Coat, just generate a junk UV map first before exporting. Thats all.

Thanks for testing - are you the guy from modo indie on steam forum?

AFAIR I did make a trash unwrap in 3DC - but this was not showing up in modo...

Maybe I did it wrong in 3DC? I just clicked "uv unwrap" when in retopo room and then went

To file export right after that. Maybe I had to confirm or click anywhere else to accept the unwrapped uvs?

Cheers

• Advanced Member

Yep thats me. =)

I did a quick retopo, then exported as an fbx into Modo Indie, which revealed the same problem you saw. Then under the same retopo menu in 3d coat, I clicked unwrap. Exported again, the problem went away.

uvfix_zpsc9048711.jpg

From there its possible to just edit or delete the UV channel.

Did you check to see if a UV was created in 3d coat? Also export retopo mesh? I cant think of anything else. The same issue appears in Modo 701 btw.

Also: I noticed something weird going on with the normals of the exported retopo mesh. Fixed by using Farfarer's vertex normal toolkit, but that is not available to Modo Indie users.

Edited by RabenWulf

• Contributor

@Elowan

I understand, now.

Have you baked your retopo into the paint room befor export?

Maybe it helps if you export your model after baking. I dont have Modo so i cant test it, (Ein Schuss ins Blaue wie man so schön sagt)

Did a final test, imported the fbx (the one that I did not UV-unwrap in 3DC) into blender.

Well, in Blender it has one UV set, which could be edited - but it´s not empty.

(did not manage to delete it, but maybe that´s my missing blender skillz) ;)

Somehow it contains all the polys in one square island overlapping each other...

(hope that makes sense?)

In MODO there is an empty, non editable UV-Set present, which shows no UV-Islands in UV editor, when selected.

When exporting/importing the same model, but as obj instead of fbx, there is no UV map present, not in MODO

and not in blender... (which is, what I expected)

Cheers!

Edited by Elowan