3DCoat Forums

Poor Color Blending Issues

RabenWulf

• Advanced Member

Shot in the dark here; If you keep opacity at 100% and rely strictly on the pen pressure, is the effect reduced? I noticed in your screens the opacity is never set to 100%.

No difference sadly. Even Smoothing (shift) has no effect on the banding.

For better quality image: (then hover over image, click + sign)

ScreenHunter_83Feb051735_zps9c0cf7da.jpg

OK!!!

NEW DEVELOPMENT. Seem's whatever happened got worse, its now effecting every application thats working in 3d.

Here's a shot from Modo, it has never done this before on this machine.

Looks like its probably not 3d coat at all then...  but what can be causing it with varying degrees on all my computers. I have to be missing something obvious here. Its not a monitor issue since it shows up the same on all of them, regardless of PC. Different HDMI cables for all, so its not damaged cable. Windows 8.1? Thats something they all have in common.  Checking temps, nothing is going above 75. Gotta be OpenGL related perhaps... back to trouble shooting. I cant continue my work with this issue.

ScreenHunter_84Feb051748_zpsacef3b67.jpg

Edited by RabenWulf

NEW DEVELOPMENT. Seem's whatever happened got worse, its now effecting every application thats working in 3d.

Windows 8.1? Thats something they all have in common. Gotta be OpenGL related perhaps... back to trouble shooting.

I know Windows8 can have some weird issues with colors (gave me a lot of grief on a studio project was part of a year ago, though gpu driver updates did eventually fix it), so...possibly?

• Advanced Member

I know Windows8 can have some weird issues with colors (gave me a lot of grief on a studio project was part of a year ago, though gpu driver updates did eventually fix it), so...possibly?

I'm wondering if its tied to color space issues or what its being set as by default.

This is on a fresh OS install PC with the gtx 970. So its something thats occured across PCs. Wonder also if its tied to an nvidia update, windows 8 update... another thing they share in common is advanced system care software, but im not sure how that can create banding. Still I cant rule anything out at this point.

showphp_zpse567e547.png

• Advanced Member

Could be close the mantis request so ?

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1775

Possibly, I have narrowed down some stuff. Modo was a bad example because it was only with Indie and indie ended up having some extremely poor colorspace issues, which I was able to resolve inside of modo by switching the RayGL on and off...its a temporary solution to something buggy in Modo Indie. Given the tests others have done, theres still something wonky with 3d coat but I really cant put a finger on it, and suddenly having a collection of problems isnt helping identify any given one. On the new desktop I put together with a 970 to test all this out, its not present anymore after updating once more. There's still some banding in the rendering but as others have said its only present when you zoom in.

Over all though on this other PC it seems to be mostly gone for now... on the flip side what replaced it is some issue with the alphas (brush alphas) are spherized and warped. So lovely 3d coat replaced one problem with another. Between this and indie Im getting more trouble than its worth atm.

Anyways I think the banding issue or just general clairity of color blending is worth looking into but this particular issue at least temporarily is resolved since I have just switched comptuers due to lack of options. The other PC is fine for everything, just not 3d coat.