3DCoat Forums

3DC Name

philnolan3d

There was mention of changing the name in another thread and I didn't think it was a good idea. But Don Nash on the NewTek forum had an interesting idea. Make it officially 3DC, maybe with "3D Coat" in smaller print underneath. As Don suggested, you're not actually changing the name, but 3DC is catchier than 3D Coat. Like with IBM or 3DS Max (3D Studio Max).

• Reputable Contributor
Ah. Oh well it was worth a shot.

Though it was also pointed out that it sounds a bit like the German word for feces, "kot". I'm just sharing what I read, I have no idea myself.

Andrew would be well within his rights to use the acronym for his software title, 3DC, short for 3D Coat.

1) There is no one else in the digital content creation segment to which the name would be potentially confused.

2) The file compression format that uses that name is so obscure and virtually unknown, virtually none of Andrew's potential customers would even know it exists.

Trademark laws exist only to prevent other competing companies from coming along later and stealing your brand. For example, there is no trademark infringement between two different companies with the title "A+ Cleaning" in New York and Los Angeles. As long as their markets don't overlap in any meaningful way, there is no legal basis for an infringement claim.

I think having the Current logo changed to show just the letters "3DC" next to the painted sphere (with 3D Coat spelled out in small text below it) would look great. Customers already have been referring to it as 3DC, therefore it serves to reason that it would catch on better in the industry than the full name. Simple and easy is the way to go forward, me thinks.

• Advanced Member

Great! i was going to propose name change myself too.

Frankly, 3D Coat sounds pretty bad for english speaking people, maybe because "coat" mainly used as a noun not a verb.

How about 3D Matter? The software is so much more than a coat :)

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever he changes the name to- if he does so at all, I hope he keeps the logo of the shiny gloopy green paint smothering the black sphere as I like it. I like the colour scheme too, though on forums I generally prefer a dark background as opposed to a white one, especially as I spend a lot of time looking at them after it's no longer daytime so it would be easier on the eyes.