3DCoat Forums

Copy UVs to New Set

Teriander

Go to solution Solved by digman,

If you're familiar with the Unreal Engine, you'll know that a single object has at least two UVs, one for textures, and one for lightmaps.  How do I copy faces from my first UV set to the Second UV set in 3D-Coat?  It looks like the only option I have is to "Move to Set" which will abandon the faces from set 1, to set 2.  

Basically I'm trying to create a custom UV layout for my lightmap on channel 2 without moving the faces from channel one.  Single Object.  But now?

Thanks

Michaelgdrs,  yes I know about the automated option with Unreal,  but lets say I want to customize my UVs and I do not like the results from the automated unwrapping by Unreal.  How can I copy UVs from Channel 1 in 3d-Coat, to Channel 2?  It seems like it should be a common issue, but I've yet to discover the answer to this.  Is it even possible in 3D Coat?  I guess I can just use 3D Max. 

• Contributor

Not talking about the auto in Unreal as it produces very bad results , you can copy the uv in unreal.

If i am not mistaken , it can be done in 3d coat as well , i believe i did this a couple times  (or was this the merge???), i am at work right now , and i dont have it installed here.

I will be back at home in a couple hours , and look for it.

Yes you are correct  , it can also be done in 3ds max as well.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

I saw that video, but it wouldn't work for me when it comes to copying and pasting to other channels. The closes I've seen to interacting with other channels is using the "Move selected faces to other UV-Set" drop down from the top menu.  But moving isn't what I need, looking for copying.  Oh well, I'll keep researching or just use Max in the meantime.  Thanks for the replies!   I'll check back if you post a solution.

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

3DC does not support the uv shell format which is really what I would think you need for the lightmap workflow... 3DC simply moves the polygon faces and the uv seam layout to a different uv set. This is mainly so you can get more texture space per parts of the model.

3DC at this time does not support natively the uv shell format like Maya or other software.  A feature request has been put in but Andrew saids it requires a lot of deep recoding of 3DC. I would not expect it anytime soon.

The above is the best to my knowledge and of course can be corrected...

Edited by digman