3DCoat Forums

Out of memory crash/export/import/AO bake

Hello,

I have been using 3d coat for a couple of years now and I am currently looking into integrating it as part of our pipeline for asset authoring.

I am running into issues while working on dense meshes in 3d coat.

Specifically anything that has to do with a mesh that is over 29 million triangles.

So I have been wondering if I am running into a bug/software limitation or hardware limitation.

- Importing a model with 15 million polygons (30 million triangles) leads to an out of memory crash.

- Exporting a model with over 30 million triangles also leads to an out of memory crash

- Rendering Ambient occlusion doesn't work at these resolution neither.

As far as I am concerned in terms of hardware, I am currently equipped with 64gb of dedicated RAM, Intel i7 cpu and an Nvidia 780 GTX with 6gb memory and running windows 7 64bit enterprise.

I have tried multiple solutions to get over this problem without any success.

These include :

- Trying multiple version of 3d coat including the latest beta and also official release versions in 64bit.

- Tried doing the same operations in other versions of 3d coat (OpenGL/DX with and without CUDA)

- Checked the free resources that 3d coat detects in terms of memory. Currently at 82920 Mb free when the heavy work file is opened. 90089 Mb of free memory on a free start.

I would like to know if anyone else ever managed to export/import a mesh from 3dCoat at over 30 million triangles /15 million polygons.

And also if there is a solution for these issues I am running into.

Thanks,

Amir

I had to create a new account since the 1st one used my companies email.

I believe there are no NGONs on the mesh since it was created from a triangulated base mesh and then voxelized in 3dcoat.

I have already ran into the same issue before when working on another model a year ago.

Hi Carlosan,

Yes I have tried multiple versions of the beta releases.

On the other hand I have done some testing on my side with different export options.

It seems like exporting the sculpt as dense quads works just fine for now.

Ideally I would like to use the export object and textures option for baking smart materials and masks externally.

While that is partially solved, that doesn't fix the Ambient occlusion bake tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update regarding the ambient occlusion bake (to vertex colors failing).

Seems like the AO baker works in 4.5.31 GL simple build. Other versions will give you a blank AO result.

Still trying to get the mesh exported from 3dcoat, currently it is still failing with an out of memory crash.

All export options fail when reaching high densities in terms of mesh resolution.

tank_4.jpg

Edited by Amir