3DCoat Forums

Way to use Retopo Room Without Breaking Geometry

Ghastly

• Advanced Member

Is there a way I can use the retopo room without breaking the geometry of a figure?

I want to create a morph for a figure by shrink wrapping it to a sculpt and while the shrink wrap works the retopo room seems to break the geometry of the model so the morph doesn't work. Is there a room that has snap to surface in it that won't break the geometry, or is there a setting in the retopo room to preserve geometry?

• Advanced Member

I can't speak for the retopo room, but I've done morph targets in the tweak room before (starting in 3ds Max, import to tweak room, do tweaks, bring back in to 3ds), I'm not sure if the tweak room has the snapping functionality of the retopo room though.

When you say it breaks the model though, do you mean that your other application simply doesn't recognise the new mesh as being from the original?

• Advanced Member

Yeah the vertexes order are changed when the obj is exported from the retopo room so the software can't load the new obj as a morph. I've made morphs in the tweak room (works wonderfully for that) but there's no snapping in there so I can't shrink wrap it to a sculpt unfortunately.

• Reputable Contributor

1) Create Neutral Pose for Head

2) Drag and Drop VoxLayer into the Models Pallet (you probably want to create a New Project Folder for the Models pallet by clicking the list menu toggle in the upper right portion of the pallet and choose NEW FOLDER)

3) Do the same with your Retopo Mesh, but store the Neutral pose mesh in the RETOPO MODELS pallet in the Retopo Room.

You now have a base copy of your High Poly version and one for your Low Poly version. Repeat this process for each morph target, and name them accordingly.

4) For each phoneme/viseme you create a new blank Voxel layer > click on the thumbnail for the Neutral Pose head in the Models pallet (later on, rather than a neutral pose version, you may elect to use something that is very close to what you want to create, next) > APPLY

4) Same process in the Retopo Room, except when you click on a model in the Retopo Models pallet, it should create a new layer for you, once you hit the ENTER key to commit the mesh to a layer.

Use the Conform Retopo Mesh feature to keep your Retopo mesh clinging to your Sculpt room edits.

The Kitbashing toolset and Conform Retopo feature should make Morph Targets a fairly efficient process.

• Advanced Member

It's still not working. Basically I want to take a Daz Genesis figure and make it conform to another figure I've sculpted but importing the figure into retopo room breaks the geometry and I get a "Geometry Does Not Match" error when I try to load it as a morph.

But I found a really weird work around.

Export the genesis figure. Import the genesis figure to retopo room then export it again (I named it RR-Genesis).

Make modifications to the mesh as needed then export the retopo mesh.

In Daz Studio load Genesis figure, import the RR-Genesis figure. Use transfer utility from Genesis to RR-Genesis. Now I have a rigged Retopo Room compatible Genesis. Load the retopo room modified morph to the RR-Genesis. Now the RR-Genesis figure will have the morph because the vertex order is the same.

Now Import that pristine Genesis mesh and use the transfer utility to fit it to the RR-Genesis. When I apply the retopo room morph RR Genesis it gets applied to the Genesis figure. Apply morph, hide RR-Genesis and export the morphed Genesis figure. Load Genesis into the scene, and use morph loader to load the exported morph Genesis figure and now I have the retopo room created morph on the Genesis figure.

• 9 months later...

Found this recently. It may be weird but it works without much fuss.  Many thanx and much appreciation for a clever solution, Ghastly.

One  problem, though:  using the relax operation in the retopo room appears to break the mesh.   It no longer loads as a morph on the RR-Genesis (geometry mismatch).  The monkey-see-monkey-do approach of creating an RR-Genesis that's had a relax performed on it seems not to be the trick.  Anyone know what is?  (Other than "don't use the relax operation.")