3DCoat Forums

AMD's Radeon RX 480 Announcement

• Advanced Member

So now we know what team Red has lined up, a Geforce GTX 980 competitor for $200. From what I can tell, they're positioning this card for mid market, not high end. The high end counterpart will be out later this year.

I'm still on a 1080P monitor, I'm not sure I'd benefit from a Geforce GTX 1080, If I would go team green I'd probably go with the GTX1070... Still, I could get two RX480 that brings it on par with a 1080 for around $400. Now the question is, would I miss Cuda?.. Decisions, decisions.

What do you guys think?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3077432/components-graphics/polaris-confirmed-amds-200-radeon-card-will-bring-high-end-graphics-to-the-masses.html

• Reputable Contributor

That depends on whether you do or intend to use GPU renders, like Octane, Thea, Arion, Furryball, Redshift, etc. If so....absolutely you will miss it. There are some steps taken by those and Cycles, too, to support OpenCL, but it is usually behind the curve compared to CUDA support. GPU rendering is where it's at and these companies that stubbornly cling to CPU-only render engines will find themselves starring obsolescence in eyes, very soon...if not already. Most 3rd party renderers are already there.

Will you miss CUDA in 3D Coat? Probably not, if you have a decent CPU.

I'm glad that we have the competition, but the lack of CUDA makes the card not usable for me based on what AbnRanger said. Perhaps in the future we'll be able to use OpenCL with AMD cards, but it hasn't been widely adopted in rendering. Otoy mentioned a cross compiler a while ago, but I don't think its there yet. 

I think the best thing that will come out of this card is the price competition it will start with NVidia. All of us will benefit. 

• Like 1