3DCoat Forums

Parts of mesh "frozen"

ryivhnn

I've done something to the mesh.  I don't know what it is.  Parts of it (not all of it) refuse to have detail added.  They don't seem to be frozen (I tried unfreeze all and at any rate things seem to turn black when frozen).  Found out by accident when I was trying to add some detail to this critter's tail.  I did the clean clay thing with a huge brush to really reduce the polygons in the tail and then went over it with a small liveclay brush to try to illustrate the problem a bit:

Spectacle.kn3653.png

I drew the lines straight down but that middle bit (and some other small parts along the top and bottom) won't pick up any detail, working in that area is like using the Draw tool (and quite maddening XD).

What did I do and how can I unthingi it? :)

Thanks!

Nope :< It was off to begin with, I turned it on to find out what the problem was and took the screenshot with it on.

Wireframe on or off, those sections won't increase density.  I went back a few versions (of the model) to try to find out when the problem occurred and it seems to have happened at some point after I'd initially pulled out the tail o_O

For the sake of being able to continue I've just cut it off at the problem area and pulled it out again, am curious as to what would have caused that and how to avoid it in future if it wasn't a random one off wtf :)

You could live clay across the entire length of the tail and it added resolution all the way along without skipping the problem section? The tool was fine, it was just that particular section of mesh that wasn't cooperating.  I must have done something stupid locally then.

I don't know where the remove stretching thing is.

I'm...not sure how I missed that o_O

Still got the same problem (though that remove stretching thing was REALLY REALLY helpful!) but least it seems to be a random wtf with my machine rather than with 3dC.  I've managed to work around it (chopped it off and tried again and all good now).  Thanks for helping :)

• Like 1

I encountered the problem again while working on the feet and noticed that when it occurred the toes I was doing had gone out of symmetry.  Did symmetry copy twice (because the first time flipped normals) and that made everything work normally again.  I'm guessing it was a similar issue with the tail (though not sure why it worked for Carlosan and not for me XD) but I wouldn't have been able to tell with the tail :)

• Like 1