3DCoat Forums

Buggy brushes?

David O'Neil

Why would a basic brush suddenly change the way it works?  Sculpting, using Build Clay brush, and it was working fine.  Switched to Crease Clay, made some adjustments, then back to Build Clay, and suddenly the brush doesn't have falloff all the way to the outside of the brush radius (it is at about 50% maybe), and it no longer 'grows' and 'lowers' the surface the way it did before.  Holding the mouse or pen 'clicked', so it should continuously add material, and it doesn't anymore.  Want to scream, having toggled various items for the past 30 minutes with no luck.

They were already checked.  Maybe you can see something in the attached wmv, if you would be so kind.  Note that the smoothing, with Shift pressed, is a continuous action, but that regular brushing is not - I had to move the brush around in order to raise the surface.  Yesterday both of them were continuous.

The settings are shown at about 1:15.

3D_CoatIssue.wmv

Interestingly, the Surface Tool brushes seem to work OK.  But the draw brush still doesn't change its behavior whether or not Stroke Expansion is checked.  I can't get the Live Clay tools to work the way they did yesterday.

(I have uninstalled/reinstalled 3D Coat and my Wacom tablet drivers while attempting to get this working correctly.)

[EDIT]

In case it is a helpful clue, when I first tried 3D Coat the surface tool brushes acted like the Live Clay brushes in the video: only about 50% of the falloff, and crappy feedback.  I was disgusted by the sculpting process because of that.  Things seemed funky for a bit, then I tried the Artman pack, and all of a sudden Live Clay brushes worked as I expected them to, and were usable.  I don't remember testing the surface tool brushes.  Now the Live Clay brushes seem to have lost their functionality.

The only thing I remember doing, as stated in the first post, was swap from Live Clay 'Build' to 'Crease', then I adjusted that brush's options and used it.  When swapping back to 'Build' things no longer worked.

Edited by David O'Neil

• Reputable Contributor

This addresses the topic to some degree. What is a PITA for you, is someone else's request. That's kind of how it works a lot of times. You like how things work and then someone gets Andrew to change it without much public notice. It usually comes with an option to choose from.

I don't believe your video has anything to do with my issue.  If you watch my video closely (sorry for no audio to explain), you will see that the brush radius/falloff doesn't match how 3D Coat applies the brush when it is used - it appears to be about 50% of the radius.  Sometimes I've gotten it to work in a manner that seems more correct (affecting 100% of the width).

This may be why some users are not impressed by the brushes/sculpting abilities of 3D Coat.  They may have the same bug that is affecting me, and haven't taken the time to find settings that work.  And then find that those settings stop working in the future, and other settings do.  VERY FRUSTRATING!

I sent you a PM earlier, AbnRanger.  If I may, at about how million vertices do you stop swapping between voxel and sculpt mode?  I imagine that above a certain limit you start losing detail each time you transform, and the time to transform isn't worth it to you.

Thanks,

David

• Reputable Contributor

It comes down to the brush draw mode. They have different behaviors based on brush pressure. If you hover over the different modes they will explain what is modulated with brush pressure. So it's not that 3D Coat has a bug. One has to learn how things work first. That applies to ZBrush as much as it does 3D Coat. The draw modes or one of the most critical components for the user to learn FIRST. You can't do a lot in 3D Coat if you don't know what they are and how they work. If you want really sharp lines, you would use the 1st or the 3rd brush draw mode, because they have their RADIUS modulated by brush pressure. So, the net effect is, they tend to have a more narrow small radius with light to medium pressure. But with maximum pressure it should be close to the brush radius you have chosen before you started the stroke.

The video I linked to went over the fact that it can be a nuisance to some to have the draw mode and brush alpha change each time they choose a different brush or tool. That seemed to happen in your video, so that is why I thought it was related to your issue. As for swapping between voxel mode and Surface. It can be a problem switching back to voxel mode if you have used LiveClay to create fine details, or made really crisp boolean cutting operations. If you are already in a fine detail stage, going to voxels just isn't a good idea. You used dynamic tessellation for a good reason. It's best to stay in Surface mode, in such a case.

Voxels really aren't needed much except for when you want to merge parts together or use some tools that might be exclusive to Voxels, like the COPY tool. But you can just plan ahead for these things. You can still sculpt your base and intermediate forms in Surface mode and switch back and forth between Voxels without any appreciable loss in detail. If you mesh is about 5 mill in Surface mode, when switching to voxels I may go above that amount somewhat, depending on whether there are any details I need to preserve. If you notice some detail loss, just UNDO and try again at a higher polycount, when prompted.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm not tracking here, because in the video you had the "REMEMBER BRUSH ALPHA FOR EACH BRUSH" checked in the Preferences Panel. And in the video I embedded, the "draw model/brush alpha changing" issue was addressed. It's not a bug. It's a feature option, that you can turn off by unchecking that option. If you select a preset, it is going to switch to whatever settings you stored for it, until or unless you ignore it. Maybe you are talking about something not in the video you first linked to.

Andrew probably should have an option to reset brushes to default settings, and that is probably one of those many feature requests buried among a mountain of others.