3DCoat Forums

How to delete decimated object in retopo room

David O'Neil

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or maybe it is a bug in 3D Coat.  Either way, I hope someone can shed some light.

I sculpt an object.  Then I retopo it.  Then I retopo it again, adding strokes, or whatever, to improve the mesh based upon the initial retopo.

Right now on the second, and following, retopos, the retopo routine seems to be using the mesh created from the initial retopo/the retopo before that.  For instance, the third retopo works off the second decimation of the initial decimated copy of the original mesh.

How can I delete the decimated mesh in the retopo room, and have it start from the original object again?  If I hide all the VoxTree and Retopo object meshes in the retopo room I am left with that decimated mesh, and I can't find a way to get rid of it.  It looks ugly as heck, and looks uglier after retopoing.

Thanks,

David

• Contributor

It needs some images. I can't visualize what you are doing. The confusing part is "Decimated" which I associate with the Sculpt room and why you have a mesh on top of the first and want to delete the first. The Stroke tool I use as a first start, not over a mesh.

Sorry for lack of images.  Let me state it another way.

I sculpted something.  Went to Retopo room, which showed my object.  In Vox tree selected Autopo.  After Autopo-ing, if I hid everything in Vox tree and Retopo tree, there was still a decimated object left that wouldn't go away (evidently it was decimated per the settings in the Autopo operation).  When I retopoed one more time using the Vox tree Autopo menu item on my original object, 3D coat used that decimated copy to retopo from, not my original sculpt object.  Could not figure out how to get rid of that decimated copy, nor how to get 3D Coat to use my original object for subsequent retopos.  Cursed at 3D Coat and wasted more than a day figuring out a workaround.  Is that 'decimated copy' a bug or a feature?  I suspect 3D Coat is programmed to use it if your sculpt is over so many quads/faces, but ???

Don't shove it off on the newbies!  (I know you probably didn't mean it that way.)  That is a recipe for never getting 3D Coat widely accepted.  If there had simply been a menu item that was enabled with 'Delete Decimated Copy' in the Retopo Room Retopo Menu a BUNCH of time would have been saved!  Even more time would have been saved if, upon the second retopo, an additional box had came up stating that the Treat Retopo Objects as Paint Objects was enabled, and the previously decimated copy was going to be used, with the option to delete it at that stage.

Edited by David O'Neil