3DCoat Forums

Drag & Drop external images into channels

Eric Cosky

I would like to be able to drag & drop external images into 3DC by dragging an image from another application (Explorer/Bridge/Firefox for instance) over the depth/color/specularity (illumination someday...? :) ) channel icons on the toolbar. Once associated with a channel this way, they would be available until the channel was cleared or reset through some other means, but would not generally persist in 3DC when used in this way.

This would be a time saver that would enable users to more conveniently use texture libraries, saving us the time because we would avoid the extra steps required to create/destroy a material just for a one-time use of an image.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love this option as well, i find it always such a bother to go find images in the internal browser, go through saying either yes/no on each different channel before i get to use the reference image to paint with. Doing a quick drag and drop from explorer/firefox/whatever people use would save me hours every week, and make me a much happier 3dc user.

Think about it andrew :) (it'll probably be in a beta not too far from now :D)

• Advanced Member

Big thumbs up to this idea!

It would also be nice if 3D-Coat could read the clipboard contents into any of those channels. Then it would be very easy to quickly pre-process (crop, high pass, what not) the bitmaps in Photoshop (et al) and toss them into 3D-Coat for use without having to save intermediate files.