3DCoat Forums

Can somebody help a newb with smart material issue?

wheelmanforhire

I've been struggling with this for 3 days... 

My metal layer is NOT showing through my chipped paint layer on a Voxel model - it just shows "black" where the metal should be (see below).  It works great on a UV model, I tried adding UV but still no luck!  I'm missing something really simple but I'm ready to give up in frustration!

Thanks in advance

GoldCylWithWhitePaint_GoldDoesntShow.3b.jpg

Holy cow, I think I discovered the problem... I had black paint selected in the color swatch... I tried it again with white selectged and it worked!

Nope sorry I was wrong... its just white showing now instead of black... metal is still obscured.

Capture.PNG

Edited by wheelmanforhire
correction

i have the same problem, any smart materials that have transparent parts dont work, such as rust, paint, etc instead of being transparent it just paints foreground color on voxel models. I wnated to keep model entirely inside 3dcoat and render with renderman, but this seems to be major dealbreaker, since for the past 2 days i couldnt get it to work. any help?

rust looks good in smart material preview, as you can see, but when painted or filled on the layer the color problem happens

test1.jpg

no, it just changes the ratio of color to rust on the paintbrush. sure i could make material 100%rust and then manually erase out parts or control the degree with the brush, but that kinda defeats the point of setting a degree in the material editor. i also did a test with simpler model, just a few spheres, and if i went straight to the paint room, same error persisted, but if i export and import it back as obj same material works totally fine. While that workflow is ok for simpler models, complex ones are too slow. Also retopo will fix the issue, but the whole idea is to model in voxels, switch to surface, paint and render all in 3dcoat, without waisting time on retopo. And that workflow works great until you try to apply any sort of material that feautures transparency controled by material, which just produces same error as above.

i tried both with default materials and my custom ones, none work if you set the degree in material editor, and they only dont work on voxel models

at first i thought i am just missing some simple options, but more and more i think its a bug