3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Workflow baking highpoly lowpoly textures

Forikundo

Hi guys, so I know this is probably a newbie thing but Ive been trying to figure it out on my own this morning and I couldnt.

So I got a model in zbrush with a 4 subdivision levels and good topology, made it on zbrush, but next projects ill be using 3ds max too. 

In 3DC i want to:

UVs on the lowpoly

baking a displacement map from the highpoly

Paint textures while I can see the displacement map applied (i dont know actually if that is possible, if not ill go with normal map)

What Ive done: Exporting obj lowpoly, exporting obj highpoly and try things.

• Forikundo changed the title to Workflow baking highpoly lowpoly textures.

Not really, because this is a retopology tutorial, I got the retopology done in zbrush and I want to make the uvs of this retopologized (is that a word? haha) version and bake the displacement map from the highpoly that I also have done outside 3DC. Id like too to know if its possible to paint in with the displacement map applied.

thanks anyway :D

• Reputable Contributor

From your wording I think this is what your are asking for.

Yes it is very possible and is one of the work flows available in 3DC.

Import your low polygon model into the paint room using the method shown in the picture. Second picture.

In the import panel,  set your millions of polygons to 2x the times of your texture resolution. Example a 2k texture, should have at least 4 million polys but you can set higher This is what 3DC will use to create any more displacements if do anymore depth painting. 3DC does this internally. Side Note: You are just painting you said so it is for your FYI.

Set the display mesh resolution to a higher subdivision level, so the low polygon will be displace correctly once you load your displacement map. This is no different than if you were loading a displacement map for a model in Blender. You would subdivide the model before loading the displacement map.

Once the model is loaded:

Create a layer for your external displacement map.

Now go the textures menu ------- import ----- displacement map. This will load your displacement map you created external in another program. 

Paint away.

When exporting the model, that is if needed make sure you choose to export the low polygon model not the mid polygon model, the one that was subdivided on import.

import.JPG

start.JPG

Edited by digman
More Info
  • Like 1

First of all, thank u so much, u have gave me some ways of solving the problem, so if what i was thinking its not possible ill do what u have suggested me for sure.

But, I think I didnt explained myself properly, lets see if I can do it now that I see the confusion.

I got the lowpoly and good topology and the highpoly made in zbrush, 2 objs, no uvs. and all the next steps Id like to do all of them in 3dCoat:

Uvs

baking Displacement

Painting

I would as Digman suggested, bake the displacement map in zbrush but in order to bake it I need the uvs on zbrush, and zbrush for uvs, at least in my opinion does not work good.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, wording is always easy to misunderstand. I mis-understood, I thought you meant that you had baked the displacement map. 

OK, You have two models, one a low polygon, the other high polys but either have uv sets. I take it that you only want a the low polygon model to have a uv set.

Here's what you need if I got it right this time.

1. The high polygon model does not need a uv set.

Import into the sculpt room as a surface mode model the high poly moldel. You can import as voxel model but you will need enough voxel resolution to capture all the details. 

When ask about scale concerning the original model upon import select yes. This will insure that when you export the final mesh that it will be same scale as the original model. 

2. In the retopo under the Retopo menu --- Import. Import your low polygon model. Snap it to the high polygon version. Only press snap to reference model if needed. I generally do any snapping to the reference model after I import if it is needed. Sometimes a few vertices will go off wild or not snap correctly. Generally if the low polygon mesh is made from the high, then no snapping is required.

3. Create your uv seams and unwrap for the uv set.

4. When baking choose what is shown in the picture.

5. The baking panel will be just like the one in my first post and first picture. The same rules apply.

6. Microvertex or in other words displacement baking requires a good uv seam layout to avoid artifacts in the bake. 

Side Note: Microvertex takes more system ram to let you know than normal map baking.

You will be in Microvertex mode in the paint room where you can paint textures or add real depth, true polygon displacement if needed.

Hopefully this time we all are on the same page...:blink:

baking.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Hi again, sry for reopening this thread

So Ive followed the steps and everything is fine until I started some painting test, there are some weird mistakes and I think its probably a baking mistake iIe made, but cant figure out what is it.

So as u can see on the screenshots, on one hand the head is not full painted, I cant paint or fill the areas in beige, this is the basic color. I though at first it was a UV problem but as u can see on the texture editor the uvs are there it just are like invulnerable to whatever operation I do.

And the other thing is related I think, I filled the ot her parts, armor and body to see if that mistake of  the head happens again and they get painted but with patches of different tonalities.

1bc87686cb48d89ba7e03f8f0550a939.png

a6256380c3131c4d64dac07613befb02.png

d5d4ebef83bd62ffffeedafaffd59d1c.png

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Workflow baking highpoly lowpoly textures