3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Help please! Why the result of cutoff or vox hide tool get jagged surface ?

Terryjin_314

As shown, E menu -> closed spline tool to cut something, the result is uglyly jagged. Both tools' result is same.

I've already watched this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDJVO-h5u04

When the author using closed splineed tool to cut his voxel, he got a nice clean & smooth curved surface. 

What's the wrong? I'm using version 4.8.25

C01.JPG

C02.JPG

19 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Hello 

Try switching to another shader

Hello Carlosan,

I'm using the default shader when capturing those two pictures. I tried several other shaders as you said, nothing changed on the cut model, it still jagged. I tried smoothing the spline quite a bit and cut the voxel again, it seems muth better but small jag still can be seen on the surface. It seems nothing to do with the shader used. 

C03.JPG

C04.JPG

Now that you have published images, I see that you are working in voxel mode, those lines are inevitable.

You should increase the resolution of each layer a lot to avoid them, and that is not advisable. For precision you have to change to surface mode.
Use voxel mode for quick sketching, surface for details and live clay for finer details.
I hope I have been helpful

• Advanced Member

It's not about the shader. And not in voxels. The curves at the moment, even with an unlimited number of voxels, at different scales, show distinct obtuse or acute angles at the nodes. So here only the "resolution" of the curve is increased, which is impossible with the means of the program. These are questions to the developer. 

• Advanced Member

In general, the best way to model a coat is to create a prototype in voxels, where all the basic shapes will be, be it large holes, grooves, etc., and refinement and grinding in surface mode. in the surface mode, it is also possible to perform boolean operations, however, they work very poorly, you may have a single bug within a few working days, or tens of grid breaks and program departures within an hour. Decide for yourself. 

8 minutes ago, Sorda said:

In general, the best way to model a coat is to create a prototype in voxels, where all the basic shapes will be, be it large holes, grooves, etc., and refinement and grinding in surface mode. in the surface mode, it is also possible to perform boolean operations, however, they work very poorly, you may have a single bug within a few working days, or tens of grid breaks and program departures within an hour. Decide for yourself. 

Thank you Sorda for your kind advice! I think I know what to do now.

Hello, I've just made a new cut test under the surface mode. Tris about 1M.

The result is: If the spline is not smoothed, the result is a bit "soft" jagged but is better than under voxel mode. Then I smoothed the spline once again and the result is nicely smoothed as shown below.

C05.JPG

Edited by Terryjin_314
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi Sorda, could you upload an example working with curves on surface mode ?

This is my cut test on surface mode, tris: 1566072

Surface.jpg

Hey Carlosan. I often have to use curves in small areas relative to the size of the model. And there problems already begin. Conventionally, try to cut a round piece of .5 x.5 meters or 5x5 millimeters at a block of 2x2 meters.

In the first case, everything will be really good, but in the second, with a very close approximation to the curve, the curve will start to behave oddly and the final result for forms more complex than a circle or a square will be quite unpredictable.

The thing is that there is no resolution setting in the curve in the kota. That is, how many edges will this curve have. If there are 3 edges, then you can imagine what will come of it. If there are 333 edges, the curve will be hundreds of times smoother. Naturally, it is far from necessary. 64 is enough, for example. At the end of the trip, this value is generally in the region of 32 or 48; therefore, when approaching, obvious breaks in the curve can be seen. Blender has a curve resolution setting. Although their functionality is arrays, mostly. But there you can at least 3, at least 64, depending on the desired degree of smoothness and accuracy.

Edited by Dmitry Bedrik

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Help please! Why the result of cutoff or vox hide tool get jagged surface ?