3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Importing color maps and applying them ?

Richard A.

• Advanced Member

Hi,

OLD Newbie question.  I have a 3D human figure that I created maps for in another program but want to import and apply without having to repaint them on using projection or what have you.  

Like in the Sculpt layers palette I have the head selected, so I can turn that off and on so I ASSUME that it's what the program is looking at.  I go to Texture>Import>Color/Albedo Map and it appears in the Layers palette and now what?  I've looked at all the areas I think I need to look in to apply it to the figure's head but can't find that.  

Please advise.  

Thank you,

Richard 

TommyHeadMap in 3DCoat.png

• Advanced Member

OK, not understanding that.  There are UV's on the model, of course.  It's a model that was created by another person but they are there, there are 5 UV's total: Head, Limbs, Torso, Eyelashes/Eyebrows and Eyes

Surface Materials.png

Edited by Richard A.

• Advanced Member

I did that with no issue but then how do I apply that to the figure?  I have no idea how to go there.  I was hoping it would be as easy as when the texture map was imported to just drag and drop it onto the body part it corresponds with.  Apparently not!  LOL 

It is. When you drag and drop a texture map a popup let you to choose different options.

One question: are you using latest version 4.9.55 ?

Could you share the model and the texture to take a look ?

NewLayer.jpg

• Advanced Member

Sadly it's not mine to share, it's a product that comes with Poser 11, L'Homme.  So if by chance you have that program you can help a bit more with practical knowledge to share with me.  I think I tried to drag and drop the Face onto the face of the figure and nothing happened, no pop up or anything.... 

• Advanced Member

OK, WEIRD.  It's now working.  It asks me for the UV map and it applies it.

By the way, yesterday when I was relearning my way around 3DCoat I was renaming the UV tiles so I wasn't having to go to the UV room and figure out which was which, since there are 5 UV's turns out 1001 is the Head but my old brain can't remember that kind of thing.  So when I was done renaming them in the paint room the figure had a moving uv pattern dancing on the figure and no matter what I tried I couldn't get paint or the maps to apply.  IT was quite strange.  Can you explain to me what you think may have happened and why I got that "moving uv pattern" on the figure?  AND if it happens again how to fix it?  

Thanks so much

Richard 

3DC will look at UV tiles as UDIMs, and will allow you to import and export them. The function is currently called "Import UV Tiles as UV Sets".

That said, when you import your file, tick the box "Import UV TIles as UV Sets", and it will import all of your tiles and rename them according to their UDIMs. Then also when you're done and exporting, tick the box "Export UV Sets as UV Tiles", this will keep the UDIM imported tiles and the names assigned to them upon import.

Hope this help

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Importing color maps and applying them ?