3DCoat Forums

Quixel smart material install...

MatCreator

• Advanced Member

=(

Ive read the posts here on the subject, set my path for autolocate, tried installing, tried zipping the folders, but mothing seems to be working?!? Latest update for 3DCoat, windows 10... Ive installed both mixer and bridge, logged in with my epic acct, i can see a nice library thats "supposedly" downloaded on my system, checked the folder on my system and can see all the various folders and files in them. But no reaction on 3DCoats end with preferences set as explained.

• Advanced Member

if youre using quixel stuff, please share your thoughts and stories. ive been going crazy over this.....

so here is the full update. when i installed bridge and mixer, i set my download path to my D drive, and during the install it set up a complete directory for using quixel products. i imagine with my epic acct it gave me access to all these files/folders, in both the smartmaterial folder and surfaces folder. then, using bridge i downloaded the free textures (surfaces?), which only gives you the file folders, and does NOT install auto or otherwise into 3dcoat. i then downloaded from the site, and those were zip files, which 3dcoat does detect and install. you have to be precise in the folder selection, at first i had selected the downloaded folder instead of the surfaces folder, and it detects only after a restart. that said, what about all the other files/folders in my quixel directory? will 3dcoat be able to read those as well? i tried zipping the folders to see, but that doesnt work. even added the "_4K_surface_ms" to see, but no. imports as a flat shader with no textures. Short story, download from the site, and select the exact folder where the files are. also, if it autodetects, it should auto save into a desired folder. i had some trouble with them not working after being moved to another folder, and had to go thru the process all over.

But my problem is this. The instant 3dcoat started the autodetect, it became seriously slow. i can understand being slow during the process of adding the hires textures, but even after that, 3dcoat has become extremely slow. it used to load up in about 5 seconds, now its taking between 3 to 5 minutes to start, and slow while working =/ is this normal and expected? ive only added 32 presets so far, will this get worse if i add more?!? 3 minute load time is crazy.

Are you using latest version ? 

It depends on the specifications of your computer such as solid disc, amount of memory, graphic board...

Try this: Move to a new location the new folders recently created and open 3DC again, is the process still slow ?

• Advanced Member

thanks for responding... yes, latest version. the only folders i created are the one for the quixel stuff on my d drive (to download stuff from quixel) and the quixel folder i made in 3dcoat for the smart materials. with the autodetect, they went into the default folder, and thats when the choking system dilemma started. i moved the smart materials into the quixel folder, and then i got all these material broken errors. i had had enuff at that point, i uninstalled 3dcoat, reinstalled, and then added the assets via manual install to the quixel folder. system chokes on startup, is taking exponentially longer to calculate occlusion and curvature, and even after closing 3dcoat system lingers in choke mode for a while =(

i read your response, and renamed the quixel folder oon my d drive, not sure if thats what you meant but yes, still chokes when i load 3dcoat.

• Advanced Member

The complete install worked like a charm, 3dcoat back to normal, thanks on explaining that. that means the "problem" definitely was in the documents folder, because after the first uninstall the problem existed. remove the document folder and all is well.

but id really like to get those quixel smart materials working, i actually came on saturday looking to invest in building up my library, and been stuck on this ever since =/

anyway, after the clean install i tried adding the quixel materials again... first shot, i did the manual install from the zips to a desired folder for the quixel mats. no slowdown, however in BOTH the preview and when applied they were "flat", no normals/bump/displacement applied as before. no broken material error prompts either. but as they didnt work, and i knew how to "fix" the slowdown, i set 3dcoat for autodetect, which it did (i believe my issue earlier was not pointing out the EXACT folder location), and proceeded to load the shaders in. the previews showed the expected bump, but when applied i got broken material error prompts, and no bump. this no bump issue wasnt noticed the other day, so at this point, im just sticking w/ my clean install and nevermind quixel for now, im DEEPLY disappointed =( maybe there is something wrong with how 3dcoat is reading the zip?!? also, we should be able to specify which folder imported shaders go into. they load in the default folder, and from what ie seen of the quixel shaders so far, if they get moved, they stop working?!?

PBR scans store materials loaded in like a pro in a matter of moments, no issue, no problem.

• Like 1