3DCoat Forums

New 3DC logo?

AbnRanger

• Advanced Member
That's beautiful.

I find it difficult on the eyes, and the Paintball doesn't sit well in the C. Looks like two complete separate things.

Not that I could do any better myself :)

• Contributor

alonzo quote:why all are working on a new logo? the existing one is perfect

Taros quote:They have too much spare time.

Why make comments like this?If someone wants to contribute to the development of 3DC let them.There is no such thing as human perfection, all things can be improved or at least modified to make it new and fresh.I am thankful that so many people want to contribute their time and effort into developing this wonderful software.

Please continue your efforts on new logo, who knows, maybe one will make it's way to the final release. :)

• Advanced Member

some of these are nice ideas, I think the last image with just the 3DC in the first post is the most reasonable although it would be nice if the the green matched the green on the dripping ball and the black was gray like the ball just to keep it all on brand.

Personally I dont think much can be achieved in a thread like this, we can throw around ideas yeah thats cool but in general a logo cannot be designed by commitee(or forum) it just takes to long and ends up being a compromise of everyones likes and dislikes and results in something boring. Let a proper designer have a go at it alone and then just accept what you get, I know some of us on here are designers but sometimes we have to step down from our high horse and just let someone else make the decisions for us. Personally I think the current 3D coat logo and branding are fine as they are and anything that we come up with here is merely for fun in your spare time as Taros said. In my opinion if we really want to help develop the software we should be helping get rid of bugs and also making it clear to the developers which parts of 3D coat we feel are unfinished or below the competitors standards.

some of these are nice ideas, I think the last image with just the 3DC in the first post is the most reasonable although it would be nice if the the green matched the green on the dripping ball and the black was gray like the ball just to keep it all on brand.

Personally I dont think much can be achieved in a thread like this, we can throw around ideas yeah thats cool but in general a logo cannot be designed by commitee(or forum) it just takes to long and ends up being a compromise of everyones likes and dislikes and results in something boring. Let a proper designer have a go at it alone and then just accept what you get, I know some of us on here are designers but sometimes we have to step down from our high horse and just let someone else make the decisions for us. Personally I think the current 3D coat logo and branding are fine as they are and anything that we come up with here is merely for fun in your spare time as Taros said. In my opinion if we really want to help develop the software we should be helping get rid of bugs and also making it clear to the developers which parts of 3D coat we feel are unfinished or below the competitors standards.

Totally agree.

I didn't wanted to upset someone with my comment. That's the reason why I've used the emoticon. A open community is a really wrong place to develop a blip/trademark. I don't have a problem to offer some designs for a open voting, but not to develop them.

And in my personal opinion the current logo is ok like it is. You will always find a better one. But why change the current? There is no reason to do it, at the moment.

And don't forget: Andrew never beg for a change...

Best regards

Chris

:) (still friendly)

Totally agree.

I didn't wanted to upset someone with my comment. That's the reason why I've used the emoticon. A open community is a really wrong place to develop a blip/trademark. I don't have a problem to offer some designs for a open voting, but not to develop them.

And in my personal opinion the current logo is ok like it is. You will always find a better one. But why change the current? There is no reason to do it, at the moment.

Best regards

Chris

Well I never get upset from crits :P I do have A LOT of time on my hands since I'm a disabled vet :D

Ok on to my next try. Please be honest on how the new design looks, and feel free to leave me suggestions !

28unxio.png

• Reputable Contributor
Totally agree.

Best regards

Chris

I was just suggesting that using the acronym 3DC in place of 3D coat would be much more marketable. Andrew stated that he already went through the trouble of trademarking the name, nevertheless, there are numerous examples of brands using the acronym of their official name (3ds Max, IBM, etc.). The time I spent the time and effort on a logo was to show what it might look like to do so, yet with a simple, flat color text design...that could incorporate the trademark paintball. Plenty of folks here agree, so I was hoping for some feedback from Andrew, to get his thoughts.

I was just suggesting that using the acronym 3DC in place of 3D coat would be much more marketable. Andrew stated that he already went through the trouble of trademarking the name, nevertheless, there are numerous examples of brands using the acronym of their official name (3ds Max, IBM, etc.). The time I spent the time and effort on a logo was to show what it might look like to do so, yet with a simple, flat color text design...that could incorporate the trademark paintball. Plenty of folks here agree, so I was hoping for some feedback from Andrew, to get his thoughts.

If you or someone else like to develop a new logo or modify the current one, then this is ok: just do it. I don't want to stop you. I just posted my opinion.

So just do, what you like to do. :)

And the proposals are not bad. I already wrote it: You will always find a better design, if you like.

Best regards

Chris

• Reputable Contributor
If you or someone else like to develop a new logo or modify the current one, then this is ok: just do it. I don't want to stop you. I just posted my opinion.

So just do, what you like to do. :)

And the proposals are not bad. I already wrote it: You will always find a better design, if you like.

Best regards

Chris

Personally, I'm done with it. I already spent the better part of a day working on different fonts and variations. Since Andrew hasn't weighed in on it, I assume the silence is a vote against the idea.

• Advanced Member
Personally, I'm done with it. I already spent the better part of a day working on different fonts and variations. Since Andrew hasn't weighed in on it, I assume the silence is a vote against the idea.

I found this post when searching for other topics. At the last line Andrew talked about the logo thingy. Feel better? :)

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=18436

akira.

• Reputable Contributor
I found this post when searching for other topics. At the last line Andrew talked about the logo thingy. Feel better? :)

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=18436

akira.

Well, that thread was discussing the UI, not the logo. I did mockups for both. Andrew seems to have adopted the sliders that I was proposing, to some degree. The functionality is there, anyway...no knobs, and really easy to drag/adjust the values. :good:

But the logo...yeah, I was trying to adhere to his wishes about trademarks...basically keeping the name and trademarked "Coated Sphere," but just use the acronym/abbreviation for 3D Coat. Just an idea. The main thing is the product. People can get used to a unorthodox name.

I think it might be cool if the letters were the same dripping material that is on the ball and related to the ball as if one was dripping from the other, somehow. However, personally I would be inclined to lose the ball. All you'd need would be some nice splattered style green lettering in the same looking material as the goo on the ball. I think if you found some nice lettering of some sort that would be enough and very simple.

What I think is that this app should not have anything that looks too serious. Some of those other logos for say ZBrush look too stylish for 3D Coat. It should be kept almost child like because this is how easy the app is to use.

• Reputable Contributor
I think it might be cool if the letters were the same dripping material that is on the ball and related to the ball as if one was dripping from the other, somehow. However, personally I would be inclined to lose the ball. All you'd need would be some nice splattered style green lettering in the same looking material as the goo on the ball. I think if you found some nice lettering of some sort that would be enough and very simple.

What I think is that this app should not have anything that looks too serious. Some of those other logos for say ZBrush look too stylish for 3D Coat. It should be kept almost child like because this is how easy the app is to use.

Definitely a good deal could be done, but the reality of it is that it's pretty much a wasted effort since Andrew stated he had a hard and costly time getting the current logo trademarked and such. Plus, he already changed the name once (from 3DBrush). Not to discourage anyone, but I spent valuable time on it too, and it's all for naught. Just don't want to see others needlessly do the same.