3DCoat Forums

Mesh woes

kenmo

• Advanced Member

Why do my meshes always look a lot better inside the 3DC environment then when I import them into other apps? Once I import them into Vue, Hexagon or Cinema4D the mesh always shows a few flaws that are not there in 3DC...

What am I doing wrong? The mesh are exported as obj in 336 K option... If I use the denser option I can not import the mesh into Vue or Cinema4D. Hex will import the mesh but behaves very badly, often crashing....

post-1298-1241896051_thumb.jpg

post-1298-1241896068_thumb.jpg

post-1298-1241896103_thumb.jpg

post-1298-1241896114_thumb.jpg

Why do my meshes always look a lot better inside the 3DC environment then when I import them into other apps? Once I import them into Vue, Hexagon or Cinema4D the mesh always shows a few flaws that are not there in 3DC...

What am I doing wrong? The mesh are exported as obj in 336 K option... If I use the denser option I can not import the mesh into Vue or Cinema4D. Hex will import the mesh but behaves very badly, often crashing....

Maybe you have used "Export high poly mesh". It is better to use usual Export of Mid poly mesh (Expotr, choose Mid poly mesh in drop list) and export normalmap or displacement for better details.

• Advanced Member

Sorry Andrew I do not see the option to export as mid poly...

I'm exporting using the option I've circled in red in the attached image...

If I select one of the options below it, it will not import into Vue or Cinema4D. It will import into Hexagon and the mesh will now look fine but Hexagon becomes unstable. I was hoping to use Hex's decimate function to reduce the poly size....

3DC is a great app but tutorials (other then Geekatplay) and documentation is really lacking for a newbie like myself...

Cheers

Kenmo

post-1298-1241967761_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

OK... found the option...seems to work much better when importing into Vue, C4D or Hex...

Thanks muchly....

• Advanced Member
OK... found the option...seems to work much better when importing into Vue, C4D or Hex...

Thanks muchly....

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2580

kenmo, hi it seems you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing in 3DCoat so I was hoping you could possibly give me a hand with my questions here as I have a project I need to do urgently and I have not had an answer to my questions.

I am also using Cinema 4D and Vue.

• Advanced Member

Sorry Paint Guy but I've not tried uv mapping or texturing yet in 3DC.... 3DC is a great app and very easy to learn... But like you I find the support, documentation and tutorials very lacking...

I would much prefer to see Andrew work on better support for the current version 2.10 then developing a newer version of 3DC as it appears most of the features in ver 2.10 are not being fully used...

Cheers

Kenmo