3DCoat Forums

Rebaking individual faces

Mr X

• Reputable Contributor

Hard to reply as not much information is given. What is the problem? 

Can you show some pictures and more details.  Your uv set,  image of your retopo mesh, image from the paint room. There are ways to fix problems but need more info.

"Bake selected only" will create a new paint object with its own uv set.

Yes, like I said baking selected creates a new paint object. I don't know what extra info you need, I just want to bake the selected faces from the retopo and have them merged with the already made paint object.

{370AE09F-1EDB-4F46-A86C-1395134544ED}.png.jpg

{D7FE5BA1-F7B2-4766-B070-5D049074D074}.png.jpg

Edited by Mr X

• Reputable Contributor

I was just confirming your observation that the bake selected only creates a new paint room object. It is not designed to fixed problems.

There is a method for updating the Paint Mesh with the Retopo mesh.  

Since I do not have the 3DC file I can only make suggestions.

If the problem can be fixed by adjusting your uv set some or adjusting the retopo mesh, then try this method under the bake menu. I highlighted the method in red in the picture. 

It rebakes the entire model but all paint layers are preserved.  A way to update without destroying our work we already done.

update mesh.PNG

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to Rebaking individual faces

No that didn't work at all. For now I found a bit hacky way to do it. I bake the selected faces then merge the new uv with the old and delete the extra paint object. It's not perfect because it creates some irregularities when you merge, but it's better than before.

Is there something else to try? How do you fix these kind of errors? I always get a few on complex meshes there the baking shell self intersects.

• Reputable Contributor

Remember I am only doing my best to help. 

Some of the below you might know already.

Baking shell. I take to mean that when adjusting the retopo shell for baking. 

Bake Menu---Bake scan settings.  Years ago we could not locally adjust the baking shell. Now we can set the in and out range not as large as we use to have to. Now we can brush areas locally . This helps on  self-intersects of the baking shell.  I get my baking shell all ready to go then I bake for the normal map. Of course you can do this in one go but I prefer to use Bake scan settings then when I happy with it bake to the paint room

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have separate objects intersecting then use:

Names Correspondence for Baking.  This will bake each object separately. 

Your Polygroup layers and your Sculpt room layers need to have the same name. 

Use Correspond Retopo object w/ Sculpt Object to make sure the layers names are the same.

Thanks, but that's pretty much what I already do. The problem is that when it's self intersecting it's so tight that you need to make the shell the same size as the retopo mesh, but then it of course loses the detail and normal. Unless I separate all the uv islands to paint objects I really don't know how to fix it. Selective baking would be great for this, but if there's no way to merge the paint objects it can't be used.

• Reputable Contributor

There is one more way if it is a smaller artifact. You can paint out the artifact in the paintroom on the normal map layer. If you can share your file I can test fixing it by this method. PM me a link if you can share the file.

Thanks for offering but it's not possible for me to share it. I have already tried to paint this away in Photoshop. I've smoothed out curvature, normal and color textures but it makes no difference, well it gets a bit better but not much. You need to rebake to get it completely gone. I don't get it, where is this data saved? I thought the textures stored all the data for bumps/normals etc.