3DCoat Forums

Pose Tool selection bounds problem

graemevaughey

Hi, I am a new user to 3D Coat, and am trying to get my head around its quirks. 

I just found a tutorial on 3d-coat's YouTube channel about bevels, which would be very useful, except that I cannot get my pose tool to behave like it does in the video. At around 7:20 minutes in, they use a 2D grid to make a linear selection and draw the line beyond the limits of the model (thus giving a softer falloff because half of the gradient is outside of the model). Whenever I try to recreate this, my linear selection completely fails unless I specifically set both its start and end points on the model -- this becomes very frustrating having to ensure that I meticulously set my end point right on the very edge of the model, and not a single pixel over. Being able to freely draw a line in space and have it render the gradient is exactly what I want, but I cannot locate any setting which will allow it to work like it does in the video. 

Can someone please tell me what it is I am missing? (I haven't changed/customised the program a great deal, so it should be functioning as it does by default). 

Thanks in advance.

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version: 2021.57

Plus you can edit the pose falloff as well to get a softer transition. 

Right click on a control point to change the style. Click on the line to add a point. Double click on a point to remove it.

Update: Andrew is currently working on a true beveling tool. He posted that today in the forums.

edit.jpg

Thanks for the help, guys. 

I know there are certain workarounds. I do find it somewhat bizarre, however, that it is the one tool/feature of the program which seems to have become worse (i.e. more restrictive) over time, when so so much else has evolved for the better (hard-surface, particularly). 

• Like 1