3DCoat Forums

2022.29 issues with importing .fbx files

• Advanced Member

hey gang, hope everyone is safe and well...

so i recently upgraded to .29 (i honestly dont recall what i upgraded from) and am having problems w/ how 3dc is importing .fbx files.

i use makehuman and character creator/iclone, and experienced similar issues in the past. makehuman figures import perfectly, regardless what 3dc version, however, the iclone figures are coming in either rotated the wrong direction, textures not loading at all or incorrectly. i notice the diff export options from iclone yield the same result, choosing blender the figure imports face down, textures wrong, maya no textures, and ue5 also imports face down.

andrew has been great at addressing these w/ each fix/update, and i know its almost impossible to have every export option from other software import "perfectly" into 3dc, so is there a way to fix the rotation w/i 3dc? i suppose textures can be loaded manually, but what else can the user do to fix these types of problems in 3dc ourselves when they happen?

Checking it

- The parts or Makehuman model are separated into different meshes and the meshes have on one UVscape. Textures are located on one folder
- Some parts of IClone character use uDims. Textures are located under 5 folders hierarchy.

* UE5 model have pose attached.

All model are children of armatures, and some ones are rotated.

Try exporting same model without any object type selected (empty, camera, lamp, armature, pose, animation...), same transform settings and selecting one folder structure by mesh.

If have uDims, the option Import tiles as UVsets must be set on.

ImportUdim.png.5b52c3f6f4cf18205847a76f412fdf62.png

Hope it help

When you're done and exporting, tick the box "Export UV Sets as UV Tiles", this will keep the UDIM imported tiles and the names assigned to them upon import.

• Advanced Member

image.thumb.png.cda7bbb9afe50776414817203ead5e17.png

image.thumb.png.e9fc7c51050586658cae78c430d249ae.png

looking at the options more closely, a lot of what you say makes sense, and i DO have control over the rotation during the export process from iclone8/cc4... there is a "secondary" set of options one has to access w/i cc4/iclone.

however, if i adjust the export option to work for 3dc, it may not work for the intended target. thats expected, no ones fault, and that isnt something i would expect to be fixed or addressed. the blender export option changes the up axis, so im sure if i play around i can figure something out. in the past, i would export 2 files, one for the target program, and one i can use in 3dc, just for manipulating or creating the textures for the figure. logic dictates i make an export option that would import -perfectly- in 3dc...

as always, many thanks. 

• Advanced Member

how come in your screencap your window reads "swap x and y axis"?!? mine reads: "z-up coordinate system". im using 2022.29, but all versions read the same. no big deal...

so i tried the same files again... forgot to mention that ALL files gave the uv too big prompt on import. so of course as it automatically switches to auto-map you lose the textures. i tried the >import tiles as uv sets< that didnt work. but switching back to >keep mapping<, the textures import as they should. i think...

as far as the rotation of the file on import, checking the >no center snap< gives a much better result of the import, as the figure is places on the plane, center of the grid. both blender and ue5 come in 90 clockwise, and both use the z up coordinate system in their native programs. also, when exporting from iclone, both default to the "z" system in the export options. but at least now on the floor and in the center, progress, ka-plah!

does making the adjustments to the import setting affect the model at all?!? even if its just for the textures, would this impact any feature of the exported file?

did you not get the uv too big prompt on import?

• Advanced Member

took a fresh start... i think 3dc is looking for material files in a "specific" location rather than searching in the folder where the .fbx file is?!? thats computer tech stuff thats way over my head, but i notice that if i move or rename the folder or location where the .fbx was originally created, the textures wont load.

also, we have the option in cc4/iclone to export the mesh/skeleton or the mesh/skeleton w/ animations. for some reason, the mesh only option files take exponentially longer to load in 3dc.

ALL files gave the uv too big prompt on import because its a warning popup about some UVmap tiles are OUT of UV space settings (have uDims)

Look opening that files on Blender

image.jpeg

UV too big warning mean this:

UVspace wrong on uDim import= 1 UVset tile but 6 UVmaps

image.jpeg

UVspace correct on uDim import= 6 UVset tiles & 6 UVmaps

image.jpeg

• Advanced Member

i will check to see if there is something i can do on the files way "out" from iclone, but pretty much the export setting is set up to work for the targeted program, so changing anything on that end is likely to cause some other issue down the line. im kind of stuck with how i have to export my files to ensure they work for the untended program.

image.thumb.png.a222e65e615fd083d4844a336eb2acd3.png 

im curious why they are exporting at different angles on your system. also the slight difference in angle of the arm. both my blender and ue5 version occupy the exact same space, you dont see any difference. for this post i left z-coordinate system and no center snap UNCHECKED.

• Advanced Member

There is an option in iclone/cc4 to check or uncheck >UDIM< either way makes no difference, still getting the uv too big prompt on import. if i let it automap, no texture. if i set to keep texture, it will load ONLY if file is imported from exact location it was created.

as always, youre awesome with the help, thanks.

while i think expecting the -perfect- import is out of andrews hands, i still think something is wrong w/ how its rotating, the discrepancy between how yours and mine load, and it definitely shouldnt matter where an .fbx is read from so long as the textures are still within the folder structure it was generated in. but not loading because the entire folder was moved, thats off and worth investigating right?!?

Have you read the article about udims that I linked previously?

What do you need to do in 3DC, just painting?

Where will this model be used after the job is done ?

why export it as fbx and not as obj?

It is a combined model divided into 10 mesh parts

image.png

and some of those parts have multimaterials assigned

image.jpeg

All separated by uDims

image.png

It is not an easy task :mellow: